Italy: PM Conte non-committal on TAP pipeline dispute after discussions with mayor
Conte said he met Marco Poti, mayor of Melendugno, a seaside resort on Italy's heel where the TAP pipeline will land.
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Thursday met the mayor at the centre of a dispute threatening to delay work on the 4.5 billion euro Trans Adriatic Pipeline but made no commitment about changing the project.
Conte said he met Marco Poti, mayor of Melendugno, a seaside resort on Italy's heel where the TAP pipeline will land, together with a team of legal and technical experts to discuss what he called "critical aspects" of the pipeline.
"I assured them the government will conduct an in-depth assessment of the whole dossier," Conte said after the meeting, adding however that legal commitment had already been made by the previous centre-left administration.
Conte also clarified to Poti that diversifying Italy's energy supplies remains a "strategic" goal, a government source said.
The mayor, who has argued that the tourism-oriented area he represents is totally unsuitable as the landing point of the pipeline, said Conte had told him the project could be scrapped if the government finds any procedural irregularities. He said he was pleased to note a "different political climate, compared with the previous government".
TAP, the last leg of the $40 billion Southern Gas Corridor that will bring Azeri gas to Italy, is due to start pumping gas in 2020 but the local opposition has raised concern that work at the Italian end may not be completed in time.
The pipeline is viewed as strategic by the European Union as it moves to wean itself off its dependency on Russian gas.
The Trump administration is keen to see the pipeline completed on time.
TAP shareholders are BP, Socar, Snam, Fluxys, Enagas and Axpo.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)