Dozens of Afghan soldiers killed in attack on base last week
The attack in Chinartu district last Friday underlined the ferocity of fighting in many areas of Afghanistan even as speculation has increased about a possible ceasefire during the Eid holiday later this month.
Amir Muhammad Barekzai, a member of the provincial council, said some soldiers appear to have been shot after they were captured but it was not possible to obtain independent confirmation. No comment was immediately available from a Taliban spokesman.
"By Wednesday evening, the bodies of 27 soldiers were discovered, but a number of others are still missing," Barekzai said.
The attack underlines the heavy losses still being suffered by security forces as they fight the Taliban insurgents. A report last year by SIGAR, a U.S. Congressional watchdog, said the losses were "shockingly high" but Afghan authorities no longer release overall casualty data.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)