Development News Edition
Give Feedback

WB-LD JU


PTI 09 Aug 2018, 02:58 PM India

The Arts Faculty Students Union

(AFSU) today withdrew its sit-in protest outside Jadavpur

University Vice-chancellor Suranjan Das's chamber after the

dean of Arts said he was quitting from the admission process,

an AFSU leader said.

The AFSU lifted the nine-hour-long demonstration at 5

am following which the VC, pro-VC Pradip Ghosh and other

senior university officials left for home, a teacher of

Jadavpur University Teachers' Association (JUTA) said.

The students were protesting against the university's

decision to put the history admission process on hold

following the demand for review of history entrance test

answer scripts of all applicants, as raised by a section of

guardians.

They were also demanding the resignation of the dean

of Arts, Subhasis Biswas, who is also the head of the history

department.

The university had witnessed prolonged gherao and

hunger strike by the AFSU in July demanding reintroduction of

the admission system to six humanities streams.

An AFSU member said the university should not put on

hold the counselling for history admissions, scheduled for

today and tomorrow, as it would further delay the already

delayed new classes slated to begin on August 13.

Guardians of 110 candidates had asked for

re-evaluation of the answer scripts after their wards

allegedly scored less than 10 in history despite scoring high

marks in Plus-II board exams.

However, 106 students scored higher marks in the

admission test which was on par with their board exam marks, a

university official said.

The university will now take a decision whether there

will be a fresh merit list and counselling for those who had

challenged the provisional merit list, the official said.

The vice-chancellor said aggrieved parents of any

applicant, who had appeared for the admission test in six

humanities stream subjects, including history, can communicate

with the university by the second week of August following

which the papers of their wards can be re-tabulated.

Commenting on the issue, Education Minister Partha

Chatterjee said , "I should not comment on the situation at

the JU. But only thing I would like to ask my student brothers

who had agitated previously, if they would say how the

admission process should begin now."

Chatterjee was referring to the sit-in and hunger

strike by AFSU in the first week of July which was lifted

after the university decided to introduce admission tests in

six humanities streams.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

add banner

LEAVE COMMENT