Development News Edition
Give Feedback

UPDATE 1-Melbourne attacker known to authorities - police


Reuters Last Updated at 10-11-2018 11:58:54 IST

* Perpetrator and one victim dead after terror attack in Melbourne

* Gas-laden truck driven downtown, one person fatally stabbed (This story is now subject to a media suppression and take down order by an Australian court. It is being reissued with the statements subject to the order removed.)

By Tom Westbrook

SYDNEY, Nov 10 (Reuters) - A man who killed one person in a terror attack in the Australian city of Melbourne was known to police, Australian police said on Saturday.

The Somali-born man, 31, set fire to a pickup truck laden with gas cylinders in the centre of Melbourne on Friday and stabbed three people, killing one, before he was shot by police. He later died of his wounds.

Local media had named the man on Saturday, but police did not confirm his identity.

"He is certainly someone who is known to both us and the federal authorities in relation to counter-terrorism and terrorism-related matters," Victoria Police Commissioner Graham Ashton told Channel 7's Sunrise programme.

The utility truck carrying barbecue gas cylinders burned on busy Bourke Street just before the evening rush hour as the driver stabbed bystanders and attacked police. (For map click here: https://tmsnrt.rs/2Qu5stX https://tmsnrt.rs/2Qu5stX))

The cylinders did not explode and the fire was put out in 10 minutes, by which point the attack was over, though not before the man had fatally wounded one bystander.

Bourke Street was reopened to the public on Saturday morning.

In two television appearances on Saturday, Ashton was not asked about Islamic State's claim of responsibility for the attack, issued on Friday via its news agency Amaq, and police had earlier declined to comment on it.

Video posted to Twitter and broadcast on television showed the man swinging a knife at two police officers, before he collapsed when one shot him in the chest.

"People were confused more than anything because Australians are not used to that kind of stuff," witness Daniel Rachbuch told Sky News on Saturday.

A staunch U.S. ally, Australia has been on alert for such violence after a Sydney cafe siege in 2014, and its intelligence agencies have stepped up scrutiny, though Ashton said there was no warning of the latest attack.

(Reporting by Tom Westbrook in SYDNEY Editing by Richard Balmforth; editing by Diane Craft)

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


add banner

LEAVE COMMENT