Everything you need to know about Friendship Day
According to experts, the idea behind Friendship Day was conceptualised by the greetings card industry. Many people have criticized this as a commercial movement to sell merchandise and solely add to the pockets of the thriving industry. However, it caught the fancy of the masses and thus it became an international event.
As we are very familiar with the fact that the friendship day is being celebrated on the first Sunday of August every year. This year also the much-awaited friendship day is being observed on 5th August. For those who are wondering when and where this idea of Friendship day came from, let us tell you that the idea of friendship day started almost sixty years ago in 1958.
Things to remember on this Friendship Day 2018
- According to experts, the idea behind Friendship Day was conceptualized by the greetings card industry. Many people have criticized this as a commercial movement to sell merchandise and solely add to the pockets of the thriving industry. However, it caught the attention of the fancy masses and thus became an international event.
- Dating back to 1958 when the world friendship crusade (a global civic organization) that propagates world peace through friendship proposed 30th July to be celebrated as Friendship Day. After that, the movement gained official recognition when the general assembly of the United Nations announced to celebrate 30th July as Friendship Day. However, most of the countries including India observe the day on the first Sunday of August.
- The founder of Hallmark Cards, Joyce Hall can be given the credit of promoting the idea of friendship day.
- Paraguay was the first country to celebrate world friendship day on July 30, 1958.
- Winnie, the pooh was announced as the world first ambassador of friendship. He was conferred this honor by Nane Annan, wife of UN Secretary General Kofi Annan in 1998.
- The famous Band Beatles released the song "With a little help from my friendship" in 1967 in order to mark the tenth anniversary of Friendship Day.
- Unlike India and most of the Asian countries, some countries like Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, and Uruguay Celebrates Friendship day on July 20 as Dia del Amigo, which means friendship day in Spanish.
- February is the month of the year, which is designated as Friendship Month of the year.
- Exchanging cards, tying friendship bands or going out with friends for dinner to celebrate as common Practice, but there is also a custom of pink and yellow roses to friends who have been with each other during difficult times.