Development News Edition
Give Feedback

Australia's Crown Resorts sues govt over bridge, Opera House views

Australian casino operator Crown Resorts Ltd said on Thursday it had filed a lawsuit to stop the government approving developments that obstruct views from its new Sydney resort of the landmark Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge.


Reuters Last Updated at 09 Aug 2018, 06:08 IST Australia

Australian casino operator Crown Resorts Ltd said on Thursday it had filed a lawsuit to stop the government approving developments that obstruct views from its new Sydney resort of the landmark Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge.

Crown has been counting on an A$2.2 billion ($1.6 billion) Sydney waterfront resort, now under construction, to appeal to rich Chinese gamblers after abandoning operations in the Asian gambling hub Macau and Las Vegas.

As part of an earnings announcement on Thursday, the company 46 percent owned by billionaire James Packer said it had filed a lawsuit against the government's Barangaroo Delivery Authority seeking an order that it comply with its contract with Crown.

The contract obligations call for negotiations to "ensure that sight lines from the Harbour Bridge to the Sydney Opera House are retained for the Crown Sydney Hotel Resort".

The Crown statement did not give details on any specific development application threatening to obstruct its views.

Packer, who quit the Crown board earlier this year citing mental illness, bought two residential floors of Crown's under-construction Sydney building for A$60 million, an apartment record for the city.

Representatives for Crown and the Barangaroo Delivery Authority were not immediately available for comment.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


add banner

LEAVE COMMENT

Download our Android App on Google Play