Indian Railways improving safety features and passenger amenities in train coaches
Project Utkrisht: Two rakes of Shan-e-Bhopal Express (Train No.12155/12156) have been upgraded at the division level.
Indian Railways spread green drive; plants over 13 lakh trees across 1,300 km network in a fortnight
Good times in Indian Railways are back; Chef Ranveer Brar romances with 'The Station Master's Tiffin'
It is a continual endeavor of Indian Railways (IR) to improve safety features and passenger amenities in train coaches. Some of the measures undertaken recently in this regard are:
- New premium services and coaches: Various premium services like Humsafar, Tejas, Antyodaya, UDAY, Mahamana, Gatimaan and coaches like Deen Dayalu and Anubhuti, which have improved passenger amenities, have been introduced in service.
- Project Swarn: IR has launched Project Swarn with the objective of significantly improving the passenger experience in premium train services. In total, 14 Rajdhani and 15 Shatabdi trains will be covered. Work in 12 Rajdhani and 14 Shatabdi trains has already been completed.
- Project Utkrisht: Two rakes of Shan-e-Bhopal Express (Train No.12155/12156) have been upgraded at the division level. Upgradation of 140 rakes in divisions on lines of Shan-e-Bhopal Express has been taken up from 2018-19 onwards under Project Utkrisht.
- The proliferation of Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB) coaches: IR has decided to proliferate Linke Hofmann Busch (LHB coaches), which are technologically superior and have better riding, aesthetics and safety features. The manufacture of coaches of LHB coaches over the last 3 years has been increased. It has been decided that the Production Units of IR would be manufacturing only LHB coaches from the year 2018-19 onwards.
- Fire retardancy in coaches: It is a continual endeavor of IR to improve fire retardancy in coaches by providing fire retardant furnishing materials in coaches. A parameter called Heat Release Rate has been added in the material specification of all major interior furnishing materials as per latest European norms, in order to improve fire safety in coaches.
- Safety in newly manufactured coaches: Instructions have been issued to Production Units for the provision of following in all newly manufactured coaches:
- Fire detection and suppression system in all newly manufactured Power Cars and Pantry Cars.
- Fire and Smoke detection system in all newly manufactured Air-Conditioned (AC) coaches.
- Fire extinguishers in all newly manufactured non-AC coaches (in addition to AC coaches).
- Provision of Double Acting doors in all newly manufactured AC coaches
- Safety in existing coaches: Steps have been taken to improve safety features in existing coaches also. In this direction, safety features like fire & smoke detection system, fire detection and suppression system and fire extinguishers in non-AC coaches and Double Acting doors in AC coaches will be provided on the identified class of coaches in a progressive manner.