Development News Edition
Give Feedback

Wrongful death lawsuit settled with families, says Jose Fernandez

Ralph Fernandez would not divulge financial details but said the settlement had been reached on July 31, which would have been the pitcher's 26th birthday.


Reuters Last Updated at 04 Aug 2018, 20:08 IST United States
Wrongful death lawsuit settled with families, says Jose Fernandez

The lawyer representing the estate of former Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez said Friday that a wrongful death lawsuit had been settled with the families of the two men who died alongside Fernandez in a Sept. 2016 boat crash.

Ralph Fernandez would not divulge financial details but said the settlement had been reached on July 31, which would have been the pitcher's 26th birthday.

The attorney had claimed that state authorities had rushed to blame Jose Fernandez was responsible for the crash but said Friday he was happy with the outcome of the settlement.

An investigation into the accident concluded that Jose Fernandez was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol and was speeding when he crashed his 32-foot SeaVee boat into a Miami Beach jetty in the early hours of Sept. 25, 2016.

He and both passengers, Emilio Macias, 27, and Eduardo Rivera, 25, died at the scene.

The lawyer representing the estates of Macias and Rivera did not comment on the settlement.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


add banner

LEAVE COMMENT

Download our Android App on Google Play