Development News Edition
Give Feedback

San Francisco Giants RHP Cueto likely headed back to disabled list

Cueto, who is 3-2 with a 3.23 in nine starts this season, returned in early July after missing more than two months because of elbow pain.


Reuters Last Updated at 30 Jul 2018, 23:07 IST United States

San Francisco Giants right-hander Johnny Cueto appears to be headed back to the disabled list.

The 32-year-old departed Saturday's start against the Milwaukee Brewers after four innings due to pain in his elbow and met with doctors on Sunday. The team is expected to make a move with Cueto prior to Monday night's game against the San Diego Padres.

Cueto struggled with his velocity in the start against Milwaukee and gave up four runs and eight hits before departing. He told reporters afterwards that he felt pain in the elbow after every pitch.

"I keep telling you guys and I keep telling myself that I'm fine but in reality I'm not," Cueto told reporters through a translator. "It's very difficult every time I go out there. Every time I throw a pitch it bothers me."

Cueto, who is 3-2 with a 3.23 in nine starts this season, returned in early July after missing more than two months because of elbow pain.

After he was sidelined earlier this season, the Giants feared Cueto might have a torn ulnar collateral ligament and had him examined by Dr James Andrews. The prognosis was that no surgery was needed, and Cueto instead was told to rest his elbow.

But the results haven't been good since his return. Cueto was 3-0 with a 0.84 ERA in five starts before going to the DL but is 0-2 with a 6.86 ERA in four starts this month.

Cueto also has served up seven homers in the four starts after giving up just one in the five early-season outings.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


add banner

LEAVE COMMENT

Download our Android App on Google Play