Commoners, bigwigs in UP celebrate Diwali with traditional fervor
In Lucknow, the sky lit up with fire crackers and lights as people burst crackers, unmindful of the restrictions imposed by law. High-decibel crackers were also burst across the state though no untoward incident has been reported from anywhere, a police spokesman informed IANS.
State-owned buses were choc a'bloc with passengers as they ran to capacity due to the last minute rush on the festival. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath was in Ayodhya during the festival where he met seers and paid obeisance to Lord Ram at the makeshift temple and to Lord Hanuman, the money god, at Hanumangarhi.
Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Akhilesh Yadav spent the festival with the Yadav clan at his native village Saifai in Etawah. Family patriarch Mulayam Singh Yadav drove to his younger brother Shivpal Singh Yadav's house to bless him on Diwali, family sources informed. Several leaders of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) spent time in their native places or assembly constituencies.
Governor Ram Naik wished the people of the state on the festival of lights and so did the three-time UP Chief Minister and Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) supremo Mayawati. In a message issued by her party, the Dalit leader specially greeted the army troopers who were away safeguarding the borders, far from their families on the festival.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- BJP rid Uttar Pradesh of goons and land mafia: Amit Shah at Aligarh rally.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra takes charge as AICC general secretary in-charge of Uttar Pradesh East.
- Priyanka roars with grand road show, Rahul says time BJP to leave Uttar Pradesh
- SP-BJP face-off continues in Uttar Pradesh
- Congress began its journey from Uttar Pradesh, it cannot remain weak in the state: Rahul Gandhi.