Soccer-Belarus clinch promotion with simple win over pointless San Marino
Stanislaw Drahun scored his fifth goal of the competition and his 10th for his country to give visitors Belarus the lead in the eighth minute against San Marino, who have failed to take a single point in the Nations League.
Belarus only needed a draw to guarantee top spot in the group but they were still dominant in both halves and wasted several chances to increase their lead.
They finally did so early in the second half when Anton Saroka turned in a low cross from the lively Drahun, sealing first place with 14 points from six unbeaten games.
Radu Ginsari put hosts Moldova in front from the penalty spot in the 58th minute but their lead did not last long. Stefano Bensi levelled for Luxembourg by smashing the ball in off the crossbar, meaning his side finished second in the group on 10 points, while Moldova ended the campaign on nine. (Reporting by Richard Martin Editing by Christian Radnedge)
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- PM Modi cuts short speech at West Bengal's Thakurnagar rally amid stampede-like situation, ends address in 14 minutes.
- Kharge demands that minutes of meeting of panel headed by PM on CBI Director's appointment be put in public domain.
- Lok Sabha adjourned for 30 minutes till 4 PM amid sloganeering by opposition members
- Rajya Sabha adjourned till 2 pm, minutes after it convened
- Soccer-French League to pay tribute to Sala with minute's applause