QB Fitzpatrick benched for Winston in Bucs' loss
Fitzpatrick was pulled after throwing his third interception, this one in the end zone, early in the third quarter against the New York Giants on Sunday. He was 13 of 21 for 167 yards, no touchdowns and the three picks as the Bucs trailed 21-7.
Winston entered and led four consecutive scoring drives to cut the deficit to three on two occasions. He ended the day 12-of-16 passing for 199 yards, with two touchdowns and an interception, which came on a last-ditch effort to rally with 23 seconds left.
The Giants held on to win 38-35.
Winston, 24, was benched midway through a Week 8 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals after throwing four interceptions. He missed the first three games of the season because of an NFL suspension before entering in Week 4 against the Chicago Bears, as Fitzpatrick was benched in the middle of a blowout loss.
Fitzpatrick, who turns 36 on Saturday, has 2,366 passing yards with 17 touchdowns and 12 interceptions this season. Winston now has 1,380 passing yards, eight touchdowns and 11 interceptions.
Winston is in the fourth year of his rookie contract since being taken No. 1 overall in 2015. Tampa Bay previously picked up his fifth-year option for 2019, which is guaranteed for injury only.
--Field Level Media
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- 'Chrome 73' comes with multimedia keys on desktop, laptop keyboards: Report
- Robert Vadra appears before ED for third time in money laundering case.
- Time shift technology unlikely to reduce number of people watching live TV: Study
- Timbaland to come up with 'Nighttime Symphony' aimed at children
- Google Chrome to support multimedia buttons on your keyboard