UPDATE 1-U.S. judge orders former Trump campaign adviser Papadopoulos to jail
Papadopoulos will report to jail on Monday to start his 14- day sentence after judge Randolph Moss dismissed his 11th hour bid to remain on bail.
Papadopoulos, who pleaded guilty to lying to federal agents probing ties between the campaign and Russia, had sought to delay his sentence while a separate case challenging the legality of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's appointment is ongoing. Moss said Papadopoulos' motion lacked merit.
"The court, accordingly, concludes that Papadopoulos' motion for a stay pending his appeal of this decision lacks merit," Moss wrote in his ruling. "Plaintiff's motion to continue bail and motion to stay his surrender date are hereby denied." (Reporting by Doina Chiacu and Lucia Mutikani; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- Apple executive's death: HC grants 4 weeks to state govt to file reply on bail plea to accused
- Gandhi family 'bail parivar', corrupt: BJP
- Golfer Jyoti Randhawa moves HC for bail in connection with poaching charges
- Delhi HC allows Chidambaram to place add'l docs on record in anticipatory bail plea
- Shepherd Bushiri hires Barry Roux, granted R100,000 bail with his wife