UPDATE 2-Copa Libertadores final postponed again following bus attack
The decisive leg had been scheduled to be played on Saturday but was suspended until Sunday after Boca players were injured when their bus was attacked by River fans outside their Monumental stadium in Buenos Aires.
"We don't want there to be any excuses that conditions were not equal for both teams," Alejandro Dominguez, the president of the South American soccer confederation CONMEBOL, said on TV. "We want both teams to have time to recover."
Earlier in the day the Boca Juniors club requested the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final be suspended, saying the game could not take place unless conditions were equal for both teams.
The incident was a black eye for some of the Argentine security forces who will be responsible for keeping the city calm during a meeting of the leaders of the G20 bloc of industrialized nations on Friday.
"We are prepared for the G20. We have faith," Jorge Faurie, Argentina's foreign minister, said on television.
Faith in CONMEBOL was meanwhile running short among fans.
"We're furious. You waste so much time and money. It takes a while to get here. The police treat you badly. You have to park far away. You don't know if your car is going to get broken into," said Ayrton da Silva, who was at the stadium when the postponement was announced.
"CONMEBOL's organization?" said his exasperated father Luiz da Silva. "The likelihood of this game being postponed was 85 per cent. How do you take this decision now? It should have been made at 10 o'clock this morning. But well, this is Argentina."
Some fans came from overseas to see the game. There was no word from CONMEBOL on when it might be rescheduled while city authorities scrambled to explain what had happened.
"There is something that is very difficult to guard against. Human stupidity," Buenos Aires Mayor Horacio Rodriguez Larreta told reporters. He blamed soccer hooligans, known as the "barras bravas" in Argentina for the mess.
"They are the mafia of Argentine soccer," he said.
CONMEBOL's Dominguez said he would meet with the heads of both clubs during the coming week to discuss rescheduling. (Reporting by Andrew Downie Additional reporting Hugh Bronstein; Editing by Daniel Flynn and Phil Berlowitz)
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
Download The Devdiscourse News App for Latest News.