Soccer-Piatek ends mini-drought as Lighthouse Derby ends in draw
Both teams were stuck in mid-table after losing their last three games but Sampdoria went ahead when veteran forward Fabio Quagliarella met Gaston Ramirez's cross with a diving header after eight minutes.
Genoa quickly replied after Sampdoria goalkeeper Emil Audero upended Piatek and gave away a penalty, which the Polish striker converted for his 10th goal of the season, one more than Juventus forward Cristiano Ronaldo.
Audero atoned for conceding the penalty by making two outstanding stops from Romulo and Piatek in quick succession before halftime and another brilliant save to foil Christian Kouame just after the hour.
Genoa coach Ivan Juric, who has managed three draws and three defeats in six games since replacing Davide Ballardini in October, was sent off for dissent in the 75th minute.
Sampdoria are 12th on 16 points from 13 games just ahead of Genoa who are a place and a point below their local rivals. (Writing by Brian Homewood; editing by Ken Ferris)
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- 2019 SEA Games swimming to serve as Tokyo Olympics qualifier
- 2019 European Games still in search of clear identity amid growing competition
- Becoming "monster" at my daughters' basketball games: Melissa McCarthy
- Clouded Leopard will be mascot for National Games 2022 in Meghalaya
- Sacred Games Season 2 to portray Kukoo; Saif Ali Khan, Siddiqui to have ‘mindblowing’ appearance