Empoli upset 10-man Atalanta 3-2 in Serie A
Switzerland midfielder Remo Freuler on Sunday opened the scoring for Atalanta in the 33rd minute, and Empoli came close to equalizing from the penalty spot in the 39th minute, but Italian striker Francesco Caputo's effort hit the post, reports Efe news.
The goals came hot and heavy after that, as just one minute later, Atalanta midfielder Hans Hateboer doubled the lead.
However, just two minutes later, Antonino La Gumina pulled one back for Empoli, and Atalanta went to the half with a 2-1 lead.
In the 84th minute, Atalanta forward Josip Ilicic was shown a direct red card and was sent off the pitch.
Empoli made the most of its numerical advantage, as centre-back Matias Silvestre secured the win in the second minute of stoppage time.
With its third victory this season, Empoli climbed to 16th in the Serie A standings with 12 points, six points behind 10th-placed Atalanta.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- UPDATE 1-Cricket-Patterson hits maiden ton as Australia post mammoth total
- UPDATE 2-Cricket-Australia strike late after posting mammoth total
- Fitch to rely on post-election budget to decide India's sovereign rating profile
- Iran defense ministry posts video showing launch of cruise missile
- Suzuki Motorcycle posts 40 percent growth in January with over 63 thousand units sold