International Development News
Development News Edition

UPDATE 2-Boxing still on the ropes after IOC freezes planning for Tokyo 2020


The International Olympic Committee (IOC) put planning for the Tokyo 2020 boxing tournament on hold on Friday in a move that could see the governing body AIBA frozen out of the Games over a governance dispute.

The IOC said in a statement it had also launched an investigation into the International Boxing Association after AIBA submitted a progress report focusing on governance, financial management and sporting integrity.

It referred to that enquiry as "the initiation of a procedure which can lead to the withdrawal of recognition for AIBA" but said it still hoped boxing would be part of the programme. "The IOC Executive Board makes all efforts to protect the athletes and ensure that a boxing tournament can take place at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 regardless of these measures," the statement read.

The IOC's Executive Board said planning for the Olympic boxing tournament had been frozen, with immediate effect, and contact suspended between AIBA and the Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee.

"This will also include the freezing of any ticket sales for the boxing competitions or any approval or implementation of the qualification system," the IOC's Sports Director Kit McConnell said in Tokyo on Friday.

No deadline was set for further action but any decision to withdraw recognition from an international federation would have to be made at an IOC session. The next one is scheduled for June 2019.

McConnell said AIBA had been given adequate time to address the IOC's concerns.

"The timeline from the time we raised these questions is not short in that regard," he said.

"These questions have been on the table throughout the whole of 2018 and tomorrow is December."

AIBA, who did not respond to a Reuters request for comment on Friday, has been in turmoil for years and the IOC has warned the Swiss-based body to sort out its finances and governance, as well as anti-doping issues, or risk missing out on the Tokyo Games.

Tokyo 2020 spokesman Masa Takaya said that Games organisers were very keen to work closely with the IOC to address any impact on planning.

'SIGNIFICANT CONCERN'

The IOC executive board said AIBA had made progress but points of "significant concern" remained.

They included doubts about AIBA's ability to continue as a going concern.

"This means basically (being able) to operate under normal financial circumstances with revenues to match the expenditure," said McConnell.

"Equally, there are elements of the audited and financial reports which are still omitted and are not included in the information that has been provided to us and not available on the AIBA website.”

AIBA said in a statement released to the media on Thursday that they had restored "a healthy and sustainable financial situation" to their accounts.

"The fear of going bankrupt due to past financial mismanagement is now far behind us," AIBA president Gafur Rahimov said in the statement.

"It is time to turn the page and look further to the development of boxing worldwide."

The IOC on Friday noted uncertainty about the role of Rahimov, an Uzbek, resulting from his "designation as a key member and associate of a transnational organised criminal network by the U.S. Treasury Department".

Rahimov was one of two Olympic officials barred by the Australian government from attending the 2000 Sydney Games for security reasons.

Despite its concerns, the IOC said it remained determined to feature boxing at Tokyo 2020.

"The goal again is that, by the time of the session in 2019, (the IOC will) be able to confirm, while protecting the integrity of the sport and while protecting the athletes... an Olympic boxing competition here in Tokyo," said McConnell.

Boxing has featured in all but one of the Summer Olympics since 1904 with Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Sugar Ray Leonard, Anthony Joshua and Katie Taylor among those to have won gold medals and gone on to claim professional world titles. (Writing by Alan Baldwin and Jack Tarrant Editing by John O'Brien, Matthew Mpoke Bigg and Toby Davis)

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


TRENDING

OPINION/BLOG/INTERVIEW

'No escape from telephones', this 1953 prediction actually comes true

In 1953, a telephone company chief predicted that therell be no escape from telephones in the future....

With Ayodhya verdict, CJI starts clearing high profile pending cases

Ending all the speculations, the Chief Justice of India Mr. Ranjan Gogoi who is due to retire on November 17 decided to deliver the verdict in Ayodya dispute at 10.30 am on Saturday which is not a working day for the Supreme Court. This is ...

How partnerships and collaborations could enhance teacher training

Monica Malhotra Kandhari, Managing Director, MBD Group shares her views on public private partnership and collaborations in education sector. She supports her propositions with her organisations success stories....

Fixed Test centers would facelift level of WTC in India

The venues for the test matches in India should be fixed so that World Test Championship matches remain fair....

Videos

Latest News

Australia ban Pattinson from Pakistan Test for 'personal abuse'

Australia fast bowler James Pattinson was suspended on Sunday for player abuse, ruling him out of the first Test against Pakistan this week with skipper Tim Paine saying he had let down the team. The paceman was found guilty of breaching Cr...

Justice Ranjan Gogoi retires as CJI

Justice Ranjan Gogoi, the first person from northeast to reach the top of judiciary and credited for bringing the curtains down on the decades old politically and religiously sensitive Ayodhya land dispute, retired as the chief justice of I...

Fadnavis heckled at Bal Thackeray's death anniversary function

Former Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis was on Sunday subjected to sloganeering by a section of Shiv Sena workers as he left Shivaji Park in the metropolis after paying tribute to Bal Thackeray on his ninth death anniversary. So...

Jammu-Srinagar highway reopens, over 4,500 vehicles resume journey

Over 4,500 vehicles, mostly trucks carrying apples from Kashmir, have resumed their onward journey by Sunday afternoon as the Jammu-Srinagar national highway was reopened for traffic three days after being blocked by a massive landslide, of...

Give Feedback