US says Saudis still lack credible account of Khashoggi murder
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will continue to press the Saudis on Khashoggi's murder when he visits Riyadh next week as part of an eight-country tour of the Middle East, the official said.
"He will raise the case of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and continue to push for accountability and credibility from the Saudi leadership as they move through the legal process that began earlier this week," the official told journalists on condition of anonymity.
"I don't think, from our point of view, that the narrative emerging from the Saudis throughout the legal process has yet hit that threshold of credibility and accountability," the official said.
In a case that shocked the world and created a sharp rift with Washington, Khashoggi was murdered and his corpse dismembered inside the kingdom's Istanbul consulate on October 2.
On November 15, Riyadh prosecutors announced indictments against 11 people, and on Tuesday prosecutors said they were seeking the death penalty against five of them.
Despite the indictments so far, it was not clear if anyone in Prince Mohammed's close orbit would be charged.
The case has made it difficult for the Trump administration to return the crucial bilateral relationship back to normal.
"The Saudis should have a credible narrative for what happened in the consulate and subsequent events," the US official said Friday.
"It's in their interest to pursue this as aggressively as they can to get this albatross off their backs and to get out from under the shadow of this incident, which has caused such an outcry." AFP
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)