China's Xi calls on army to be battle-ready
The official Xinhua news agency said Xi told a meeting of the top military authority that China faced increasing risks and challenges, and the armed forces must work to secure its security and development needs.
"The world is facing a period of major changes never seen in a century, and China is still in an important period of strategic opportunity for development," he was quoted as saying.
Xi's comments followed his remarks on Wednesday that China still reserved the right to use force to achieve "reunification" with Taiwan and prevent the island's independence.
Xi's Taiwan speech came just days after U.S. President Donald Trump signed the Asia Reassurance Initiative Act into law, reaffirming the U.S. commitment to the island's security. (Reporting by David Stanway; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- UPDATE 6-Trump urges 'safe, lawful, secure' U.S. immigration system
- Fresh snowfall forces closure of Jammu-Srinagar highway
- FEATURE-On solid ground: armed with land titles, Tanzania's slum dwellers tackle poverty
- Policeman killed after armed men blow up gas tanker truck in Iran
- Armed men blow up gas tanker truck in Iran, policeman killed - Mehr