Iran plans naval drills with Russia in Caspian Sea
"Tactical, rescue and anti-piracy war games between Iranian and Russian naval forces are being planned and will be implemented in the near future," the semi-official news agency Mehr quoted Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi as saying.
Iran and Russia have close ties, including in Syria where they both back President Bashar al-Assad in the country's civil war.
Khanzadi reiterated Iran's opposition to the military presence of any country from outside the region in the Caspian Sea, saying: "All countries around the Caspian have the same approach," Mehr reported.
Russia said last year it was firmly committed to deepening ties with Iran despite a U.S. decision to quit an international nuclear deal and reimpose sanctions on Tehran.
(Reporting by Dubai newsroom; editing by Richard Pullin)
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- No coercive steps, including arrest of Kolkata Police chief, will take place: SC
- Taliban attack in northern Baghlan kills 21 including 11 policemen
- RattanIndia approves debt restructuring proposal including NCD worth up to Rs 7,200 cr
- Maha illegal abortion racket busted, 9, including 4 docs, held
- Fire in Brazil's Flamengo football facility kills at least 10 including minors