Left Menu
Development News Edition

Kvitova's calf injury becomes hurdle for French Open

Devdiscourse News Desk | Paris | Updated: 18-05-2019 01:45 IST | Created: 18-05-2019 01:45 IST
Kvitova's calf injury becomes hurdle for French Open
Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Petra Kvitova heads into the French Open with two titles under her belt this year but a calf injury in a tournament tune-up match this week has hit the twice Wimbledon champion's momentum.

The 29-year-old Kvitova was forced to retire from the last major warm-up before Roland Garros with a left calf injury after trailing Greece's Maria Sakkari 7-5 5-7 4-0 on Thursday in the third round of the Italian Open in Rome.

Kvitova's spokeswoman told Reuters in an email that the Czech still plans to play at the French Open. "It was a left calf injury, but she is hopeful that it's nothing serious - (it) was a tough schedule with the rain and two matches on one day in Rome," said the spokeswoman.

Kvitova had earlier thrashed Yulia Putintseva 6-0 6-1 but had to return to the court after Wednesday's washout. Before Rome, Kvitova appeared well positioned for a run at a first title at the clay court tournament at Roland Garros beginning on May 26.

While the left-hander only made it past the last 16 at the French Open when she reached the semi finals in 2012, she boasts a 27-7 record on the WTA circuit this year with two titles and appearances in four finals.

The Czech, who lost in the final at this year's Australian Open to Japan's Naomi Osaka, had said before the Rome tournament that she was recovering from a recent abdominal injury as she looked to get on track for the French Open.

Kvitova, the world number five, returned to professional tennis in May 2017 after recovering from severe wounds to her left playing hand as she struggled with an intruder in her flat during a December 2016 attack.

She crowned her comeback 18 months after the attack with her first final appearance at the 2019 Australian Open as well as victories in Stuttgart and Sydney.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Migration post-COVID 19: Taking cues from the past to rebuild economies

Migrants are an irreplaceable part of even the essential workforce of developed countries and are on the frontline in the fight against the crisis, making an immeasurable contribution to saving the lives of natives with voting rights....

Socialization Post-COVID-19: Local associations and online groups to play crucial role

Though every age group is suffering due to the global lockdown caused by the ensuing COVID-19 pandemic, the challenges before adolescents are unique. Their social space has shrunk drastically, besides, they have become highly vulnerable to ...

Pharma post-COVID 19: Reducing political clout can alter business models

Powerful governments that have historically supported the pharma industry in enforcing global intellectual property rules are changing course and introducing legislation that can override normal patent rights during emergencies....

COVID 19 response: Big data is of big help but concerns remain unanswered

Public monitoring tools developed to fight the pandemic could pave the way to more invasive forms of mass surveillance post COVID-19....

Videos

Latest News

Big man Leuer announces retirement

Forward Jon Leuer announced his retirement Sunday after eight NBA seasons. The 31-year-old Leuer didnt play in the 2019-20 season after being waived by the Milwaukee Bucks in July.Leuer made his announcement on his Instagram account. I love...

Saqlain set be appointed PCB high performance coach for international players

Former Pakistan spinner Saqlain Mushtaq is set to get an important posting at the Pakistan Cricket Boards High Performance Centre in Lahore. According to a reliable source in the PCB, Saqlain has agreed to take over as the high performance ...

UK's Sunak authorises bailout plan to rescue strategically important companies - FT

British Finance Minister Rishi Sunak has authorized a bailout plan to rescue companies that are seen as strategically important, with the state expected to buy stakes in crucial businesses that are facing acute financial problems, the Finan...

Turkey confirms 32 deaths, 1,141 new COVID-19 cases

Turkeys health minister on Sunday announced 32 new deaths from COVID-19, bringing the death toll in the country to 4,340. Fahrettin Koca also tweeted there were 1,141 new infections confirmed in the past 24 hours. The total number of infect...

Give Feedback