Afghan authorities are probing reports that 14 civilians were killed or wounded during a military operation, the defence ministry said today, with several officials saying women and children were among the victims.
An AFP reporter said he saw 12 bodies when he visited the village on Thursday.
Kunduz regional hospital head Naeem Mangal said the bodies of 12 women and children had been brought to the medical facility.
US Forces in Afghanistan did not immediately respond to an AFP request for comment.
"A high-ranking military and government delegation has been appointed to closely investigate the incident," the statement said.
Kunduz governor spokesman Naimatullah Taimor confirmed an investigative team had arrived in Char Dara district.
The incident comes days after a UN report showed the number of civilians killed in the nearly 17-year conflict hit a record high in the first six months of 2018.
The toll of 1,692 fatalities was one percent more than a year earlier and the highest for the period since the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) began keeping records in 2009.
Another 3,430 people were wounded in the war, down five percent from the same period last year, the report said.
One of the worst incidents was in Kunduz in April, when an Afghan.air strike on an outdoor religious gathering in Dashte Archi killed or wounded 107 people, mostly children, a previous UNAMA report found.
The government and military said it had targeted a Taliban base where senior members of the group were planning attacks.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)