Putin says Russia could bid to host Summer Olympics
Russia held the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi but its legacy was tainted by allegations of widespread doping which led to Russian athletes being forced to compete as neutrals.
Asked about hosting a Summer Olympics in Russia for the first time since 1980, Putin says feasibility studies need to be conducted "but obviously we will organize major international competitions here," in comments reported by state news agency RIA Novosti.
Russia held the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi but its legacy was tainted by allegations of widespread doping which led to Russian athletes being forced to compete as neutrals at this year's Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.
The next summer games Russia could host would be in 2032, because Tokyo, Paris and Los Angeles are already confirmed as hosting the 2020, 2024 and 2028 editions respectively.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- Dwayne Johnson tells why he's not hosting Oscars 2019
- Evelyn Sharma talks about the 'fun' in hosting shows
- Ghana creates history for hosting International Electoral Awards 2019
- Grammy host Alicia Keys releases new song 'Raise a Man' after hosting event
- Angola declared to be hosting World Tourism Forum in May 2019