Left Menu
Development News Edition

Motor racing-Williams keeping an open mind on Stroll situation

Motor racing-Williams keeping an open mind on Stroll situation


By Alan Baldwin

HOCKENHEIM, Germany, July 20 (Reuters) - Williams are keeping an open mind on Canadian driver Lance Stroll's future with the Formula One team, technical head Paddy Lowe said on Friday, amid speculation linking the teenager to rivals Force India.

Media reports have suggested the 19-year-old, whose billionaire father is one of Canada's richest men, is looking for a move away from a team last in the standings and enduring a nightmare season.

"I’m not worrying about it. It’s that type of time in the season when there are lots of stories around the media about drivers doing this or that," Lowe told reporters at the German Grand Prix.

"As far as I’m concerned we’re working very much in the present with Lance.

"It’s true he hasn’t committed for next year. We haven’t committed to him either, so that is an open point. Where it lands, who knows. We would love to stay with Lance and that’s our assumption at the moment," he added.

Force India, who also use Mercedes engines, have punched above their weight for the past two seasons with successive fourth places.

They also operate with one of the smallest budgets in the sport, their finances mostly coming from prize money and sponsorship due to the ongoing problems of co-owner and principal Vijay Mallya.

India wants to extradite the 62-year-old former liquor baron from Britain to face charges, which he denies, of fraud as a group of Indian banks seek to recover more than $1 billion of loans granted to his defunct Kingfisher Airlines.

Stroll, in his second season at Williams after finishing third in Azerbaijan last year, indicated on Thursday that his future at the former champions depended on them finding a solution to their aerodynamic problems.

"I also want to do what’s best for me as a driver, so we will come to all the conclusions at the right time and figure out what’s best for the future," said the Canadian.

"I don’t know yet what I’m doing or where my future is going."

The Canadian, who also brings an important financial contribution to the team, has scored all of Williams four points this season after taking 40 last year.

If Stroll were to switch to Force India, that could be part of a potential merry-go-round among those teams in midfield and further behind - Renault, McLaren, Sauber, Haas, Toro Rosso and Williams.

Force India's current pairing is experienced Mexican Sergio Perez and young Frenchman Esteban Ocon, the latter a highly-rated Mercedes protege who has also been linked to Renault where Spaniard Carlos Sainz is on loan from Red Bull.

Mallya said earlier this month that he wanted to keep Ocon and Perez "unless they get offers that they cannot refuse". (Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Download The Devdiscourse News App for Latest News.


TRENDING

OPINION/BLOG/INTERVIEW

WEF 2020: Trump seems politically correct in pulling out from Paris Agreement

If the survey of the World Economic Forum WEF is believed, Trump seems to enjoy the confidence of his people in flaying climate intuitions and climate activists. His preference for economic development over environmental protection not only...

From home to healthcare, here are Robotic innovations transforming lives

Lovot is equipped with more than 50 sensors such as thermography, microphone array, obstacle detection, and touch sensor to generate motion and emotions in real-time....

Translating words to deeds: Achieving gender parity in access to financial resources

... ...

SDG13: How you can reduce global warming by changing your food habits

The mega narratives of various international organizations give the impression that fighting global warming is only a job of government agencies. However, the European Investment Bank EIB has designed a questionnaire which besides making th...

Videos

Latest News

U.S. threat to kill Soleimani successor a sign of "governmental terrorism"- Iran foreign ministry spokesman

The U.S threat to kill the successor to Irans General Qassem Soleimani is a sign of Americas targeted and governmental terrorism, Irans Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Thursday.The U.S. special representative for Iran said ...

U.S. warns travelers to exercise increased caution in China due to coronavirus

The U.S. State Department on Thursday warned travelers to exercise increased caution in China due to the coronavirus outbreak. httpstravel.state.govcontenttravelentraveladvisoriestraveladvisorieschina-travel-advisory.html.XinAey8JNak.twitte...

WRAPUP 2-U.S. weekly jobless claims rise modestly; labor market tight

The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits increased less than expected last week, suggesting the labor market continues to tighten even as job growth is slowing.Labor market strength is underpinning consumer spending, helping...

Tgana man approaches human rights panel after womans parents

A 25-year old man has knocked at the doors of the Telangana State Human Rights Commission, seeking justice, claiming the family members of his lover are opposing their marriage though he converted to their religion as suggested by her. The...

Give Feedback