CID files charge sheet against Jagdish Patel in Bitcoin extortion case
The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) has filed a charge sheet against Jagdish Patel, the suspended Amreli district Superintendent of Police, in the Bitcoin extortion case.
The charge sheet was filed yesterday in the court of Additional Sessions Judge P J Tamakuwala. The 2,400-page charge sheet names Patel as the key accused, who allegedly extorted Rs 1.4 crore from Surat-based builder Shailesh Bhatt by abducting him with the help of junior policemen.
Patel was suspended from the service after his arrest in the case in April. He is still behind bars. The crime came to light when Bhhatt lodged a complaint with the state CID-Crime alleging, that inspector Anant Patel and some other policemen attached to Amreli police abducted him and his business partner Kirit Paladia from Gandhinagar, and forced them to transfer Bitcoins worth Rs 9 crore.
Patel had allegedly hatced the entire conspiracy with the help of his Surat-based friend who had tipped Patel about Bhatt and his businesses.
subordinates to abduct Bhatt in order to extort him.
The case has so far seen the arrest of 13 persons.
PTI PJT PD
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)
- Congress approaches Unjha MLA Patel to take back resignation
- Charge sheet in minor's rape case filed in a week
- Mahatma's grandson contrasts Sardar Patel's prison pastime with grand statue
- Hardik Patel to fight Lok Sabha polls, may join Congress party
- Investors fleeing Bengal due to Trinamool's extortion: Shivraj Singh Chouhan