Left Menu
Development News Edition

Ontario projects surge of COVID-19 cases akin to that of hard-hit Australian state

"We're all in this together." Quebec Premier Francois Legault said on Wednesday that police would be able to give out C$1,000 ($750) fines to enforce new provincial restrictions in Montreal and two other hard-hit regions to curb the virus and for not wearing masks at protests.

Reuters | Updated: 01-10-2020 04:02 IST | Created: 01-10-2020 04:02 IST
Ontario projects surge of COVID-19 cases akin to that of hard-hit Australian state

Ontario could reach 1,000 new COVID-19 cases a day in the first half of October, projections released on Wednesday showed, putting Canada's most-populous province on a trajectory similar to that of the hard-hit Australian state of Victoria. The projections did not consider the impact of modest restrictions introduced earlier in September and came on a day the province reported 625 new cases.

A graph of projected cases in the modeling showed Ontario beginning to track the case spike in Victoria, which declared a state of disaster and imposed a curfew and strict movement restrictions on Aug. 1. Adalsteinn Brown, dean of the University of Toronto's school of public health, told reporters that cases were doubling every 10 to 12 days and warned of "a remarkably high surge, unless public health measures and adherence to public health measures start to damp down that transmission."

Ontario Chief Medical Officer David Williams said officials were looking at the risk associated with some banquet halls, group fitness classes, and workplaces that are "less than stringent" about employees who are sick or required to quarantine coming to work. The Ontario government announced a C$2.8 billion ($2.1 billion) spending plan to slow the spread of the virus in the coming months. It has cut the size of social gatherings in some hot spots, limited the hours for bars and restaurants to operate and serve alcohol, and closed strip clubs in recent days.

Premier Doug Ford slammed individuals protesting mask requirements and other public health measures, calling them "yahoos." "Guys, give your heads a shake," Ford told a briefing in Toronto. "We're all in this together."

Quebec Premier Francois Legault said on Wednesday that police would be able to give out C$1,000 ($750) fines to enforce new provincial restrictions in Montreal and two other hard-hit regions to curb the virus and for not wearing masks at protests. Starting on Thursday, police will be able to ask a judge remotely for a warrant to enter homes where owners refuse to cooperate with new rules governing the size of private gatherings.

"We cannot accept that a majority of people pay for the negligence of a minority," Legault told reporters in Quebec City. Quebec, which reported 838 new cases on Wednesday, is Canada's hardest-hit province for COVID-19. ($1 = 1.3316 Canadian dollars)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Turbulence surrounding tobacco control in Ghana

... ...

Refugee compassion and response: Ideas to mitigate disasters now and in their future

Their homeland becomes a forbidden territory for them and more likely than not, their journey to foreign soil is no less traumatizing, not to say deadly. It is crucial to help refugees live a life of dignity and purpose....

Videos

Latest News

Most of California to be under stay-at-home orders as COVID-19 surges

Californias two most densely inhabited regions and its agricultural breadbasket will be under stay-at-home orders by Sunday night as the COVID-19 pandemic strains hospitals in the most populous U.S. state, officials said.Designed to kick in...

Golf-Grillo holds on to take one-shot lead into final round of Mayakoba

Emiliano Grillos commanding lead at the Mayakoba Classic was chopped to a single shot on Saturday after Tom Hoge, Viktor Hovland, Adam Long and Justin Thomas launched third-round charges in Playa del Carmen. Grillo, chasing a second PGA Tou...

France tells Britain: our fishermen must have access to your waters

France knows that in any post-Brexit trade deal with Britain its fishermen will not maintain their current quotas for catches in British waters, but an accord must be founded on a large and lasting access, European Affairs Minister Clement ...

Hungary, Poland risk exclusion from EU recovery fund -French minister

The European Union will leave Poland and Hungary out of its economic recovery plan if the two countries continue to resist efforts to link the disbursement of 1.8 trillion euros of funds with rule-of-law provisions, a French cabinet ministe...

Give Feedback