Bajrang Dal strikes in Hyderabad; student couple ties knot in park
Protesting against Valentine's Day celebrations, activists of rightwing group Bajrang Dal on Thursday forcibly married off a young couple at a park on the outskirts of Hyderabad. The activists found a student couple in a park and made the boy tie what appears like 'mangalsutra' to the girl. The incident occurred at Kandlakoya Oxygen Park in Medchal.
The activists shared the video on social media. The protestors could be heard saying it's an auspicious day as the boy 'tied the knot'. Later, one of them is seen congratulating the boy. Workers of Bajrang Dal, Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and other rightwing groups staged protests in various parts of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
Police arrested a group of protestors in L. B. Nagar area here as they took out a rally. Raising slogans of 'Jai Shri Ram' and holding saffron flags, they also tried to burn an effigy of Valentine. A protest was held against an event organized by some youths in Nalgonda town of Telangana.
In Vijayawada in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh, VHP and Bajrang Dal activists held a protest at Rajiv Gandhi Park. They put up posters and banners advising youths to stay away from Valentine's Day celebrations. The leaders of the organizations said celebrating Valentine's Day was against India's culture.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Davis Cup: India lose to Italy 1-3 in World Group qualifier tie
- Turkey hopes Israel would reverse decision on Hebron monitoring group
- TMC killing dreams and aspirations of middle-income group people in Bengal: Modi at BJP rally in Durgapur.
- Central African Republic inches towards peace; deal with armed groups confirmed
- UPDATE 2-Central African Republic reaches peace deal with armed groups