Devdiscourse News Desk| Bengaluru | India
With the rains not letting up and the monsoon still vigorous, the India Meteorological Department has extended the red alert for coastal Karnataka till July 18.
Since the intensity of rain has reduced in south interior Karnataka, the weather department has retracted the red alert for the region, issuing an orange one until July 20.
Even in coastal Karnataka, the downpour is expected to become less intense from July 19, with the weather department predicting it would fall under the orange category for now.
Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner of Uttara Kannada Laxmipriya said that due to relentless rain, the district had opened 26 care centers by the evening of July 16, including six in Karwar taluk, six in Kumta taluk, and 14 in Honnavar taluk, sheltering 2,368 people.
According to her, in the last 24 hours, three houses were completely damaged, one severely and 18 partially, with one human life lost due to a house collapse in Karwar taluk.
In case of emergencies, the DC said, the public could call the district administration’s emergency helpline number 1077 and the WhatsApp number 94835 11015.
Chikkamagaluru and Hassan districts have also been heavily impacted by the rain. In Sringeri, for instance, parking areas and roads leading to the Sringeri temple are still inundated, making it impossible for devotees to visit the temple.
In Sakleshpura taluk of Hassan district, many villages, such as Mavinur and Kaginere, are still experiencing power outages due to the rain. Mudslides are becoming more frequent in the region, heavily affecting National Highway 75 between Sakleshpura and Maranahalli, said Shruti, Deputy Divisional Officer of Sakleshpura.
Incidentally, the stretch of road between Sakleshpura and Maranahalli was just fixed last year after the landslides in 2018 had damaged it.
(With inputs from agencies.)
{{#Source}}{{Source}}{{/Source}}{{#IsBlog}}
{{ImageCopyright}}
{{Disclaimer}}
{{/Disclaimer}}