Chile files legal challenge over Ecuador's World Cup place
- United States
“FIFA can confirm that it has received a formal complaint from the Chilean FA in relation to this matter,” soccer's governing body said in a statement.
FIFA gave no timetable for a possible disciplinary case ahead of the World Cup kicking off Nov. 21.
The FIFA rules in cases of ineligible players require results to be overturned as a 3-0 loss.
Chile has now filed complaints against an opponent's player in back-to-back World Cup qualifying programs.
In South American qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, Bolivia forfeited two games in which it fielded an ineligible player as a late substitute. FIFA had received complaints from Chile and Peru about Bolivia defender Nelson Cabrera, who was born in Paraguay and had previously played for Paraguay's national team.
Bolivia lost an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport which said FIFA was right to investigate even when protests were filed weeks after the games were played. That case ultimately harmed Chile. Three extra points awarded to Peru lifted it above Chile to enter an intercontinental playoff that it won.
FIFA wrote stricter rules for the 2022 World Cup requiring all players in qualifying games to produce a “valid permanent international passport” for inspection by match officials.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)