Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 2-Prince Harry arrives in Canada to prepare for non-royal life


UPDATE 2-Prince Harry arrives in Canada to prepare for non-royal life
Representative Image Image Credit: Flickr

Britain's Prince Harry has arrived in Canada to join his wife Meghan as the couple prepares for a new life after agreeing to stop using their royal titles as part of a deal to end a crisis in the Windsor family.

Harry was shown arriving on Vancouver Island by Sky News, just days after reaching an arrangement with Queen Elizabeth and senior royals that will see him and his wife Meghan leave behind their royal roles to seek an independent future. Buckingham Palace and the queen said on Saturday that Harry and Meghan would no longer be working members of the royal family. They would not use their "Royal Highness" titles and would pay their own way in life, freeing them to forge a new future in Canada and the United States.

Harry has admitted he had not wanted to step away entirely from his royal life and his military appointments but said there was no other option. "It brings me great sadness that it has come to this," he said on Sunday.

American actress Meghan returned to Canada on Jan. 10 to be reunited with baby son Archie, and Harry flew out late on Monday to join her. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, the couple's formal title which they will continue to use, spent six weeks in Canada at the end of last year before returning to Britain.

Earlier this month, they shocked the royal family by publicly announcing they wanted more independence, leaving the other senior members hurt and disappointed, according to royal sources. The new arrangement agreed following a summit held by the queen at her Sandringham estate and attended by Harry's father and heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles and elder brother Prince William, will come into effect this Spring.

Harry is expected to carry out some official engagements before then although it is not clear whether Meghan will be involved. She was pictured in the Sun newspaper on Tuesday, walking her dogs in a park on Vancouver Island close to where the couple has been staying in a secluded house. In their new life, the couple will no longer receive public money and will repay the cost of refurbishing their British home in Windsor, which official figures show amounted to 2.4 million pounds ($3 million).

But certain details, such as whether the couple could continue to use the "Sussex Royal" title for their website and branding and their future security arrangements, have either not been finalized or publicly revealed. Asked about who would pay for their protection, justice minister Robert Buckland said there was an issue about how public money was spent.

"Quite clearly there have already been arrangements made about how that family is going to live and how they are going to be able to get private income but there clearly has to be a line of delineation," he told Sky News. "I think we all want a family like that to be safe, but at the same time I think what really needs to happen is they need to understand how their lifestyle is to adapt and what their needs might be."

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Download The Devdiscourse News App for Latest News.


TRENDING

OPINION/BLOG/INTERVIEW

Future of Food: Technology fostering the road to global food security

Technological innovation can help address most of the pressing issues facing the world today including food security by enhancing productivity, improving financial services, managing resources, addressing environmental concerns, etc....

Conspiracy theories on COVID 19: Legislators, Scientists, and Journalists all joined the Caravan

Conspiracy theories are not new for virus epidemics. There have been conspiracy theories on HIV-AIDS, Polio Vaccines, Ebola Virus, and several other diseases as well. However, what makes the 2019 Novel Coronavirus different from others is ...

Now it’s a war, Uganda deploys army to combat locust swarms

Its for the first time after 1986, the locust swarms have attacked Uganda twice in a season. With the increasing number of countries of Africa under attack by locust swarms, the problem seems to have taken a regional paradigm. Its very diff...

Top 10 Fake News, Myths and Realities on 2019 Novel Coronavirus COVID 19

With nearly 1500 deaths by January 14 and around 65,000 infections in China, the Novel Coronavirus 2019 has become one of the worst health epidemics of the 21st Century. However, 8,573 people have been cured but the rumor mongers are a...

Videos

Latest News

'Parasite' star hopes film will help Japan-Korea cultural ties

One of the stars of Parasite said on Sunday he hoped the film would help improve cultural ties between Japan and Korea, which have been strained by disputes including a trade row that ignited between the Asian neighbours last year.Actor Son...

Bengal virtually seal semifinal berth after massive lead against Odisha

Bengal put up a strong batting display in their second essay to virtually seal a Ranji Trophy semifinal berth with a massive 443-run lead over Odisha in their last-eight clash here on Sunday. At close on the penultimate day, Bengal were 361...

UPDATE 1-Oman's new ruler aims to reduce country's debt

Omans Sultan Haitham bin Tariq al-Said said on Sunday the government would work to reduce public debt and restructure public institutions and companies to bolster the economy.Haitham, in his second public speech since assuming power in Janu...

Protestors stage dharnas, put up road blockades during Bihar

Bandh supporters on Sunday staged dharnas and put up road blockades in many districts of Biharduring the shutdown called by the Bhim Army. Bhim Army chief Chandrashekhar Azad had given a callfor a nationwide shutdown to protest against a Su...

Give Feedback