The islands are known as the Southern Kuriles to Russia and the Northern Territories to Japan. Russia has said Tokyo must first recognise Russian sovereignty over the islands in order for any progress to be made in peace talks. (Reporting by Vladimir Soldatkin and Christian Lowe; writing by Tom Balmforth Editing by Maria Kiselyova)
Russia calls on Japan to recognise outcome of World War Two
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Wednesday denied Moscow was imposing an ultimatum on Japan in talks to end a decades-long territorial dispute, but called on Tokyo to recognise the results of World War Two.
READ MORE ON : northern territorysoviet unionsergey lavrovislandssovietcayman islandsrussian empiretickets for troopsdonald trumpsouthern kurilesempire of japannorthern mariana islandsrussiansnorthern territoriesworld war twotroopjapantokyo tokyotroopsflag of japan
- Make sure US troops leave Iraq as soon as possible: Top Iranian leader
- UPDATE 1-Iran's Khamenei urges Iraq to force out U.S. troops "as soon as possible"
- Convoy carrying foreign troops outside Bagram Airfield targeted in Afghanistan
- Death in Libya clashes soar to 32 as fighting with Haftar's troops continues
- Three US troops, 1 contractor killed in Afghanistan blast: Official