Left Menu
Development News Edition

Iran rejects French call for wider talks beyond nuclear deal - state TV

Reuters | Updated: 07-06-2019 22:28 IST | Created: 07-06-2019 15:10 IST
Iran rejects French call for wider talks beyond nuclear deal - state TV
Image Credit: Flickr
Iran rejected French calls for wider international talks over its nuclear and military ambitions, saying on Friday it would only discuss its existing 2015 atomic pact with world powers, state TV reported. French President Emmanuel Macron had said a day earlier that Paris and Washington both wanted to stop Tehran getting nuclear arms and new talks should focus on curbing its ballistic missiles programme and on other issues.

But Iran's foreign ministry said it would not hold any discussions beyond the 2015 pact which U.S. President Donald Trump abandoned last year as he pressed for tougher restrictions. "Under this circumstances, talking about issues beyond the deal ... will lead to further mistrust among the remaining signatories of the deal," foreign ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said in a statement.

The United States pulled out of the 2015 agreement - under which Tehran agreed to curb its nuclear work in exchange for sanctions relief- saying it did was not permanent and did not do enough to control Iran's missiles and regional influence. In 2017, Iran rejected Macron's call for talks on Tehran’s ballistic missiles, saying they were purely defensive, arguing that U.N. Security Council resolution 2231 that enshrined Iran’s nuclear deal with six powers "does not prohibit missile programme and missile tests by Iran." "a. UNSC 2231: "Iran is CALLED UPON" not prohibited; b. "Not to undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles DESIGNED to be capable of delivering NUCLEAR weapons. Our missiles are not “designed" for nukes, which we’re not developing," Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted on Friday.

France and other European signatories to the deal have said they wanted to save it, but many of their companies have canceled deals with Tehran, under financial pressure from the United States. "The Europeans have so far failed to fulfill their commitments under the deal and ... to protect Iran's interests after America's illegal withdrawal," Mousavi added in his statement, according to state TV.

Trump said on Thursday that Iran was failing as a nation, under the pressure of his sanctions, and repeated his call for talks with the leadership in Tehran. Mousavi dismissed Trump's comments as "repetitive, groundless and paradoxical” and said they did not merit a response.

Iran's top authority Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has dismissed Washington's call for negotiations. However, Iran's pragmatist President Hassan Rouhani has signaled Iran's willingness to hold talks if the U.S. showed its respect and returned to the nuclear accord. A senior commander of Iran's elite revolutionary Guards repeated the country's official stance by saying that Tehran "is not seeking war" with the United States but warned that it will respond "decisively" to any aggression. "Iran enjoys the best military forces ... any war against Iran would not stop at Iran's borders and it would engulf the entire region," Iran's state news agency IRNA quoted Brigadier General Morteza Ghorbani as saying on Friday. (Writing by Parisa Hafezi, Editing by Andrew Heavens, William Maclean)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

3D printing and the future of manufacturing post COVID-19

The on-demand, customizable, and localized manufacturing of product components facilitated by 3D printing has the potential to redefine manufacturing but there are certain technical, mechanical, and legal limitations that, unless ...

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Loopholes in Healthcare Information System may have failed Singapore COVID-19 model

In the initial days of the COVID-19 outbreak, Singapore was in the limelight for its effective healthcare system and pandemic response plan. However, Singapore has now joined the list of the worst-hit nations and the situation is even worse...

Videos

Latest News

Railways to end colonial-era khalasi system, says no to fresh appointments

The Railways is set to end a colonial-era practise of appointing khalasis or bungalow peons who worked at the residences of senior officials, following an order from the Railway Board barring any new appointment to the post. In an order iss...

SSR death case: Quarantined Bihar Police officer to leave from Mumbai for Patna today

Bihar Police investigation officer in Sushant Singh Rajput death case, Vinay Tiwari, who was quarantined in Mumbai, will leave for Patna today after four other officers of Bihar Police returned to Patna yesterday. Brihanmumbai Municipal Cor...

CPL 2020: All players test negative for COVID-19

The Caribbean Premier League CPL on Thursday announced that 162 people - players, officials, and administrators - who travelled into Trinidad have tested negative for the coronavirus. They will now be kept in quarantine in the official hote...

Sevilla and Wolves win to reach Europa League quarterfinals

Sevilla beat Roma 2-0 in the round of 16 to stay in the hunt for a record sixth Europa League title, as Wolverhampton, Bayer Leverkusen and Basel also qualified for the quarterfinals. Full-back Sergio Reguilon gave Sevilla the lead with a s...

Give Feedback