Golf-Jon Rahm forced out of Memorial after positive COVID-19 test
The 26-year-old's most recent test, conducted after Friday's rain-shortened second round, came back positive on Saturday and it was confirmed again while he was on the course. "The PGA Tour's medical advisor notified Rahm immediately upon completion of his round, and under Tour protocols, he will be withdrawn from the competition," the PGA Tour said in a statement.
"Rahm is now in isolation, and in accordance with CDC guidelines, he will need to remain in isolation through Tuesday, June 15." The PGA Tour called it "an incredibly unfortunate situation" and added that throughout the 50 events it has held since the end of last year's pandemic-induced shutdown, there have been only four positive tests within competition, including Rahm's.
Rahm, the tournament's defending champion, was in the driver's seat at the Muirfield Village Golf Club on Saturday, where he was 18-under par and enjoyed a six-stroke advantage. If he had gone on to win on Sunday, he would have earned $1.674 million.
Television cameras captured the moment the former world number one was told by officials about the positive test. The stunned Spaniard put his hand over his face and bent over in agony and disbelief after getting the news. With Rahm out of the picture, Americans Collin Morikawa and Patrick Cantlay are now co-leaders at 12-under par heading into the final 18 holes.
(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)