Left Menu
Development News Edition

Cricket-De Villiers defends offer to play for South Africa at World Cup

Reuters | London | Updated: 12-07-2019 17:30 IST | Created: 12-07-2019 17:24 IST
Cricket-De Villiers defends offer to play for South Africa at World Cup
Image Credit: Twitter (@IPL)

AB de Villiers said he did not expect to be included in South Africa's squad for the Cricket World Cup after telling captain Faf du Plessis that he was available, as he clarified his role in a selection drama that blew up in England. South Africa endured a miserable tournament, exiting with only three wins from their nine pool matches.

Their cause was not helped when it was reported that De Villiers, who had retired from international cricket in May 2018, had spoken to Du Plessis about making himself available on the eve of the team's squad announcement. That led to accusations that De Villiers, one of the best-limited overs batsmen in the world, had been selfish in trying to force his way back into the squad.

He said, however, he was only reiterating what he had told an unnamed Cricket South Africa official a year earlier upon his retirement. "Now the Proteas' World Cup campaign is over, and the team cannot be distracted, I would like to respond to unjustified criticism of me during the tournament," De Villiers said in a statement on Friday.

"I announced my retirement from international cricket in May 2018 because I wanted to reduce my workload and spend more time with my wife and young sons. Some have insisted I was motivated purely by money. They are wrong. "In truth, I have turned down many lucrative offers to play around the world, and have cut the time spent away from home each year from eight months to just over three months."

De Villiers said that immediately after his retirement he was asked if the door was open for a return to the team, and he confirmed he would consider it. In a phone-call to long-time friend Du Plessis during this year's Indian Premier League, he repeated the door was open "if I was needed".

"I had been in decent form during the Indian Premier League and casually repeated what I had said when asked a year earlier, that I was available if required ... but only if required. "I made absolutely no demands at all. I certainly did not try to force my way into the World Cup squad on the eve of the tournament, and did not expect to be included."

De Villiers said the story was leaked to the media after South Africa's loss to India, they're third in a row at the World Cup, as a way of deflecting attention away from the team's troubles. "Elements of our private conversation were disclosed to the media, and distorted to cast me in the worst possible light," he says.

"The story was not leaked by me, or anybody associated with me, or by Faf. Maybe someone wanted to deflect criticism. I don't know. "As a result, I was unfairly described as arrogant, selfish and indecisive but, with all humility, my conscience is clear. I am not angry with anybody."

Also Read: Right decision to not include AB de Villiers in team, says Jonty Rhodes

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Download The Devdiscourse News App for Latest News.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Public health care post-COVID 19 to go for revamping, not rebooting

Until now, the economies used to classify healthcare sector under social expenditure. However, the devastation caused by COVID 19 pandemic has upgraded public healthcare on topmost priority and core economic activity for controlling future ...

Coronavirus lockdowns to speed up long-pending revamping of supply chains

With millions of production lines impacted, business disruptions to some extent are unavoidable and the lessons learned from this turbulence will leave an everlasting impact on both global and local levels of supply chains....

COVID 19 to catalyze the redefinition of urban planning and sustainability

Until now the urban planning was focused on mitigation to natural disastrous, climate change, pollution, chronic illness and lifestyle diseases. However, the global pandemic of novel coronavirus is going to change the whole narrative of urb...

Ebola to COVID 19: Has Geopolitics prevailed over Professionalism in WHO

World Health Organization WHO is perceived as one of the most professional bodies of the United Nations. However, the role of WHO has come under question in handling outbreak two deadly diseases Ebola Viral Disease EVD and novel Coronaviru...

Videos

Latest News

188 bottles of duplicate hand sanitisers in Hyderabad, three held

Three men with possession of 188 bottles worth Rs 20,000 of duplicate hand sanitisers were arrested on Saturday in Hyderabad. On March 27, 2020, the sleuths of Commissioners Task Force, South Zone Team, Hyderabad, along with Mirchowk and Bh...

Coronavirus-hit ship granted permission to pass through Panama Canal

A cruise ship stuck off Panamas Pacific coast after four passengers died and more than 130 others developed influenza-like symptoms, including at least two with the coronavirus, will be allowed to proceed through the Panama Canal, the gover...

Houstonians holed up at homes as COVID-19 cases more than triple overnight

Bustling energy hub Houston is all quiet with its residents holed up since Tuesday following a stay-at-home order even as the coronavirus cases on Saturday jumped to 232 from 69 a day earlier as testing expanded, uncovering previously undet...

N.Korea launches apparent ballistic missile into ocean

North Korea fired at least one unidentified projectile into the ocean off its east coast, South Koreas Joint Chiefs of Staff said on Sunday, with Japans Ministry of Defense reporting that it appeared to be a ballistic missile. The ministry ...

Give Feedback