Left Menu
Development News Edition

California dive boat captain charged with manslaughter in maritime disaster

Each of the 34 seaman's manslaughter counts returned against Jerry Nehl Boylan, 67, of Santa Barbara, carries a statutory maximum penalty of 10 years in prison if he is convicted, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles. The indictment accuses Boylan of causing the deaths of the 33 passengers and one crew member who perished in the Labor Day weekend boat fire by way of "his misconduct, negligence, and inattention to his duties," the prosecutors' statement said.

Reuters | Updated: 02-12-2020 08:50 IST | Created: 02-12-2020 08:50 IST
California dive boat captain charged with manslaughter in maritime disaster

The captain of a dive boat that caught fire and sank off the California coast in 2019, killing 34 people in one of the state's deadliest maritime disasters, was indicted on Tuesday on federal manslaughter charges, U.S. prosecutors said. Each of the 34 seaman's manslaughter counts returned against Jerry Nehl Boylan, 67, of Santa Barbara, carries a statutory maximum penalty of 10 years in prison if he is convicted, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles.

The indictment accuses Boylan of causing the deaths of the 33 passengers and one crew member who perished in the Labor Day weekend boat fire by way of "his misconduct, negligence, and inattention to his duties," the prosecutors' statement said. The grand jury cited three specific federal safety violations - failures to assign a night watch or roving patrol aboard the boat, to conduct sufficient crew training or to conduct adequate fire drills.

The victims had been sleeping below deck aboard the 75-foot Conception when the vessel went up in flames in the early morning hours of Sept. 2, 2019, while anchored in Platt's Harbor near Santa Cruz Island, off the Santa Barbara coast, during a sport diving expedition. The five surviving crew members, including Boylan, had been above deck in berths behind the wheelhouse and escaped by leaping overboard as the burning boat sank into the Pacific. They told investigators that flames coming from the passenger quarters were too intense to save anyone trapped below.

Coroner investigators determined the victims died of smoke inhalation. Following the disaster, the U.S. Coast Guard issued a safety bulletin urging limits on the use of lithium-ion batteries and chargers aboard passenger vessels. The document suggested investigators were looking into the possibility that such batteries may have ignited the Conception fire.

Neither Boylan nor his attorneys were immediately available for comment. Federal prosecutors informed his lawyers of the indictment after it was filed, and he is expected to surrender to authorities in coming weeks, the U.S. attorney's statement said.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

China: A savior for emerging markets or a poison pill?

... ...

Future of Urban Planning: Artificial Intelligence guiding the way

Advances in emerging technologies like Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning can help us understand our cities better and derive useful insights from real-time data collected through automated models....

Videos

Latest News

Belarus police arrest 100 in renewed protests

Police in the capital of Belarus arrested about 100 people who formed human chains in demonstrations calling for the authoritarian president to resign.A police statement said the chains of up to 30 people were formed throughout Minsk. It di...

Why reluctant to allow Oppn leaders to visit govt hospitals if Yogi developed UP, asks AAP

An Aam Aadmi Party MLA on Saturday said if the Yogi Adityanath government had done development works, it would not had to stop leaders of opposition parties from visiting state-run hospitals.Vinay Mishra, the AAP MLA from Dwarka in Delhi, a...

WHO inks deal for delivery of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines in poor countries

The World Health Organization WHO on Friday announced that it had reached an agreement with PfizerBioNTech for 40 million doses of their COVID-19 vaccine delivering to poor countries under its COVAX initiative next month. COVAX is co-led by...

Brazil's Fiocruz begins distributing 2 mln India-made AstraZeneca shots

Brazils federally funded Fiocruz Institute said on Saturday it had begun distributing 2 million ready-to-use AstraZeneca PLC COVID-19 vaccines after they arrived in the country from India on Friday. Brazils government has a deal with AstraZ...

Give Feedback