Left Menu
Development News Edition

Watch: Huge explosion on Route 2 in Farmington, 1 dead, several injured

Devdiscourse News Desk | Washington DC | Updated: 16-09-2019 19:57 IST | Created: 16-09-2019 18:21 IST
Watch: Huge explosion on Route 2 in Farmington, 1 dead, several injured

A huge explosion has been reported on Route 2 in Farmington in Franklin County on Monday morning, according to local media reports. One firefighter has died and several others have been injured in the incident.

The explosion happened at about 8:30 am on Monday when fire crews were responding to a propane leak at 313 Farmington Falls Road.

The site of the explosion is the Leap building on Farmington Falls Road. According to LEAP's website, it's a nonprofit devoted to enabling people with cognitive and intellectual disabilities to thrive in small groups and apartments or homes.

The emergency crews are present on the scene carrying out necessary operations.

According to some reports, the intensity of the explosion was such that it shook the nearby buildings in the area.

No word yet on how many people have been injured or the extent of their injuries.

The cause of the explosion is not known yet.

The public is asked to avoid the area of Farmington Falls Road.

Several rescue responders can be seen in a video posted by a Twitter user. It has been reported that the explosion was so large that the debris and smoke nearly blocked the sun for moments.

Responding to the unfortunate incident, Governor Janet Mills said, "I am closely monitoring the explosion in Farmington and have instructed the Department of Public Safety to keep me apprised of the situation. Per protocol, the State Fire Marshal's Office will thoroughly investigate the cause and origin of this devastating explosion."

"Our hearts go out to all those impacted by this tragedy, especially to the loved ones of the firefighter lost and others injured. I am grateful for the work of first responders who are at the scene and urge Maine people to avoid the area," she added.

Farmington is a town in Franklin County, Maine about 28 miles northwest of Augusta or 68 miles northeast of Portland. It is home to the University of Maine at Farmington, the Nordica Memorial Auditorium, the Homestead, and the annual Farmington Fair.

Further details are awaited.

This is a developing story.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

New farm bills in India: Focusing on farms or farmers?

... ...

Kenya’s COVID-19 response: Chaos amid lack of information

Confusing numbers and scanty information on how effective curfews and lockdowns have been in breaking transmission have amplified coordination and planning challenges in Kenyas response to COVID-19. Without accurate data, it is impossible t...

Farkhad Akhmedov: Calculating the price of impunity from the law

In insistences such as the battle over the Luna, Akhmedov has resorted to extreme legal machinations to subvert the High Courts decision and keep his assets from being seized. ...

Guinea’s elections hearken back to the autocracy and violence of its past

... ...

Videos

Latest News

Govt relaxes import norms for onion to boost domestic supply, check prices: Statement.

Govt relaxes import norms for onion to boost domestic supply, check prices Statement....

80 pc shoppers chose regional, local brands during festive sale: Snapdeal

Value-focused e-commerce marketplace Snapdeal on Wednesday said 80 per cent shoppers chose regional or local brands for their Diwali purchases during its just-ended festive sale. The remaining 20 per cent opted for national and internationa...

Absconding GJM supremo Bimal Gurung spotted outside Gorkha Bhavan near Kolkata

GJM supremo Bimal Gurung, on the run since 2017 following an agitation for statehood in Darjeeling, was on Wednesday spotted outside Gorkha Bhavan in Salt Lake area near here, where he had arrived to address a press meet, official sources s...

Armenia's PM Pashinyan says no diplomatic solution to Karabakh crisis at this stage

Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan said on Wednesday there was no diplomatic solution to the Nagorno-Karakbakh conflict at this stage.Everything that is diplomatically acceptable to the Armenian side ... is not acceptable to Azerbaijan...

Give Feedback