Tragedy Strikes Chinnenahalli: Contaminated Water Claims Lives During Village Fair

At least two people have died and nearly a hundred fell ill after drinking contaminated water at a village fair in Chinnenahalli, Madhugiri taluk. Home Minister G Parameshwara confirmed the deaths and announced an investigation into the incident and the failure to ensure safe drinking water.


PTI | Tumakuru | Updated: 13-06-2024 15:00 IST | Created: 13-06-2024 15:00 IST
Tragedy Strikes Chinnenahalli: Contaminated Water Claims Lives During Village Fair
AI Generated Representative Image
  • Country:
  • India

At least two individuals have tragically lost their lives following the consumption of contaminated water at Chinnenahalli village, Madhugiri taluk. Home Minister G Parameshwara confirmed the dire situation on Thursday. The deceased—Chikkadasappa (76) and Peddanna (72)—succumbed on Wednesday in the hospital.

Officials reported that nearly a hundred people fell ill on June 10 after consuming water supplied from an overhead tank and a drinking water unit during a village fair. Among the affected were many who experienced severe vomiting and loose motion, with some requiring intensive treatment at private hospitals in Madhugiri, Koratagere, and Tumakuru.

Minister Parameshwara, also the district in-charge, visited the hospital to assess the health status of those undergoing treatment and stated that the village's Panchayat Development Officer and waterman have been suspended for negligence. An ongoing investigation aims to uncover comprehensive details about the contamination source and total casualties.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

Give Feedback