Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 1-China launches new web cleanup campaign amid fresh takedowns

Reuters | Beijing | Updated: 12-06-2019 17:32 IST | Created: 12-06-2019 17:09 IST
UPDATE 1-China launches new web cleanup campaign amid fresh takedowns
Image Credit: ANI

China launched a new campaign to clean up its internet, state media said, amid a fresh wave of apparent censorship by Beijing blocking more foreign media websites and shutting down domestic accounts on social media.

The joint effort was launched in May by the cyberspace administration, the information technology ministry, the public security bureau and the markets regulator and will run until the end of the year, the official Xinhua news agency said. The "rectification" campaign will punish and expose websites for "illegal and criminal actions", failing to "fulfil their obligation" to take safety measures or the theft of personal information, it added.

The campaign follows a series of shutdowns and blockages of certain websites and social media accounts. Several foreign media beyond Beijing's control, such as the Washington Post and The Guardian, have not been accessible online since last weekend, adding to a list of blocked sites that includes Reuters.

Online Chinese financial news publication Wallstreetcn.com said on Monday it took its website and mobile app offline at the authorities' request but gave no details of the rules it may have broken. Social media accounts ranging from those publishing politically sensitive material to financial news have also been shut.

Authorities said in November they shut 9,800 accounts of news providers deemed to be posting sensational, vulgar or politically harmful content. The Chinese internet regulator's Shanghai office said in a statement on Wednesday it and the markets regulator's Shanghai office summoned representatives from Baidu Inc and criticised the firm for unethical advertising using vulgar content or overly sensational titles.

The authorities ordered Baidu to rectify its advertising business to eliminate such practices, according to the statement. Baidu did not immediately respond to a request for comment. In recent years, China has regularly campaigned to police its internet, shutting down websites, social media accounts and mobile apps.

"The cleaning drives are not purely political. Many, possibly even most, of those accounts were probably spam, porn or other types of content that the platforms have made clear are undesirable and unwelcome," said Fergus Ryan, an analyst with the Australian Strategic Policy Institute. "The problem is that in among those legitimate removals are accounts that are removed for political reasons."

Shimin Fang, a popular science writer who drew public scrutiny in China for critical comments about Huawei Technologies Co, said he found out on Tuesday all of his Chinese social media accounts had been taken down. Fang, who lives in the United States, said he did not know what had happened until some readers told him they could no longer find his postings and that the platform operators would not tell him why his accounts were shut down.

"My guess is that from now on any influential self-media accounts will not be allowed to exist, no matter (if) they are political or not," Fang told Reuters in an email. The term "self-media" is mostly used on Chinese social media to describe independent news accounts that produce original content but are not officially registered with the authorities.

"The Chinese internet winter is coming," Fang said.


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

COVID-19 seems cooking biggest ever global scam

The increasing number of corruption cases on COVID-19 funds from throughout the world and involvement of high profile persons indicate that the countries cant ignore corruption in their pandemic response programs. This has generated the nee...

Health Management Information Systems lack holistic, integrated, and pandemic resilient character

Being a part of the United Nations system, the World Health Organization WHO deserves its share of rebuke for its alleged failure issue COVID-19 health emergency alerts on appropriate time. However, the pandemic has also exposed loopholes i...

Pride in the time of coronavirus: a welcome move online?

This year is different in many ways not least as celebrations are also taking place against the dramatic backdrop of a global health crisis and a resurgence in grassroots activism following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. ...

COVID-19: Weighing up the benefits and limitations of edtech platforms

Edtech companies shouldnt focus on merely pushing contents, but to provide an interactive, effective teaching and learning environment. ...

Videos

Latest News

Portuguese judge suspends EDP boss in corruption probe, CFO named interim head

A Lisbon judge ordered the chief executive of EDP-Energias de Portugal, Antonio Mexia, to be suspended along with the CEO of subsidiary EDP Renovaveis as part of a corruption investigation, a source familiar with the decision said.The rulin...

Mahomes, Chiefs agree to 10-year extension

Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs agreed to a 10-year contract extension through 2031, ESPN reported Monday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Adam Schefter reported the deal is worth more than 400 million and the richest c...

People News Roundup: Singer Elton John hinired by Britain's Royal Mint; Charlie Daniels, singer, dies at 83 and more

Following is a summary of current people news briefs.UKs Royal Mint celebrates singer Elton John with new commemorative coinElton John on Monday became the second artist to be honoured by Britains Royal Mint with a commemorative coin paying...

Trudeau skipping Trump summit with Mexican president

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will not visit Washington with Mexicos president this week to celebrate a new North American trade deal, his office said Monday, after Canada raised concerns over potential U.S. aluminum tariffs.In a M...

Give Feedback