Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 3-Yemen's Houthis, in tit-for-tat, launch fresh attacks against Saudi Abha airport

Reuters | Riyadh | Updated: 14-06-2019 07:18 IST | Created: 14-06-2019 07:13 IST
UPDATE 3-Yemen's Houthis, in tit-for-tat, launch fresh attacks against Saudi Abha airport
The Iran-aligned group said it has launched several drone strikes against Abha regional airport in southern Saudi Arabia, the Houthi television channel reported. Image Credit: ANI; File Photo

Yemen's Houthi group carried out new drone strikes on a Saudi airport on Friday after a series of air strikes by a Saudi-led coalition against the capital Sanaa, residents and both sides of Yemen's war said.

The Iran-aligned group said it has launched several drone strikes against Abha regional airport in southern Saudi Arabia, the Houthi television channel reported, two days after it claimed responsibility for a missile attack against the same airport. The Saudi-led coalition, which intervened in 2015 in Yemen's civil war to restore the government of President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi, said it intercepted five drones that targeted Abha airport and Khamis Mushait in the same region.

The Western-backed coalition, which had vowed to respond to Wednesday's missile attack on Abha airport, said on Thursday it had destroyed Houthi military assets on the outskirts of the Houthi-held capital Sanaa. A statement from the alliance said the operation targeted "foreign experts from terrorist organisations working with the Houthis" but did not identify their nationality or say whether they had been hit.

It was unclear if there were any casualties following Friday's drone strikes. Wednesday's missile attack had wounded 26 people, Saudi authorities said. Coalition leaders Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates accused Iran's Revolutionary Guards and Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah of supporting the Houthis, a charge all three deny.

"The targets that were destroyed in Yemen include missile depots, weapons and manufacturing plants," said a coalition statement carried on Saudi-owned Al Arabiya TV. The Houthi-run Masirah TV said coalition aeroplanes bombed three sites, including military targets belonging to Houthi forces, on the outskirts of Sanaa. Residents told Reuters the strikes had targeted military camps west and north of the city.

The Houthis have stepped up missile and drone attacks against Saudi cities as tensions have risen between Iran and Gulf Arab states allied with the United States. Last month, the group carried out drone strikes on two Saudi oil pumping stations. Tehran and Washington have engaged in a war of words since the United States reimposed sanctions on Tehran and increased its military presence in the Gulf. The Yemen conflict is widely seen in the region as a proxy war between Saudi Arabia and Iran. The Houthis say they took up arms against corruption.

(This story has not been edited by Devdiscourse staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

China: A savior for emerging markets or a poison pill?

... ...

Future of Urban Planning: Artificial Intelligence guiding the way

Advances in emerging technologies like Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning can help us understand our cities better and derive useful insights from real-time data collected through automated models....

Videos

Latest News

Colombia's Defense Minister in critical care with COVID-19

Colombias Defense Minister Carlos Holmes Trujillo is in critical care after being infected with coronavirus, the government said on Monday. Trujillo tested positive for the virus last Tuesday, a day after the Ministry of Foreign affairs rep...

Saudi Arabia allows broadcast by Qatar-based beIN Sports TV channel - Reuters witness

Qatar-based TV channel beIN Sports has resumed its broadcast in Saudi Arabia after the two countries reconciled this month, ending a rift of more than three years, a Reuters witness in Riyadh reported on Monday.Reporting Aziz El Yaakoubi, w...

Italy PM wins key confidence vote, tougher test on Tuesday

Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte won a crucial confidence vote in the Chamber of Deputies on Monday, hanging on to power after a junior partner quit his coalition and opened a political crisis amid the raging COVID-19 pandemic.Had he l...

NFL-Chiefs QB Mahomes remains in concussion protocol

Patrick Mahomes status for Sundays AFC Championship against the Buffalo Bills remains up in the air as the Super Bowl MVP is still in concussion protocol, Kansas City Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said on Monday. Mahomes was evaluated for a c...

Give Feedback