Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 1-Rome court says migrant ship can enter Italy's waters, overriding Salvini

Reuters | Rome | Updated: 14-08-2019 22:56 IST | Created: 14-08-2019 22:54 IST
UPDATE 1-Rome court says migrant ship can enter Italy's waters, overriding Salvini
Image Credit: ANI

An administrative court in Rome ruled on Wednesday that a Spanish rescue ship carrying around 150 migrants should be allowed to enter Italian territorial waters in defiance of a ban imposed by Interior Minister Matteo Salvini. Salvini, leader of the far-right League party, quickly responded that he would not allow the ship entry regardless of the ruling, setting up another high-profile conflict over the issue of immigration which has proved his biggest vote-winner.

The charity vessel Open Arms had appealed to the court to let it come to Italy, saying international maritime law meant it had a right to bring the migrants to safety. Open Arms' founder Oscar Camps, speaking to reporters in Madrid, said the boat would now set sail for the Italian island of Lampedusa. Once in Italian waters, the NGO will request medical evacuation for all those on board, Camps added.

"This is another step forward. We may be able to disembark sooner than expected," Camps said. "We can enter Italian waters without fear of being fined or having the boat confiscated". Salvini said on Tuesday he would block both the Open Arms and another vessel operated by French charities, the Ocean Viking, from bringing to Italy more than 500 migrants they had picked up off Libya since last week.

In a written ruling, the Rome court said the Open Arms complaint "does not appear to be completely without legal basis". It added that the charity vessel clearly faced an "exceptionally serious" situation. As such, it said, the boat should be allowed into Italian waters and receive immediate assistance for the "most needy rescued persons". However, the court ruling did not say whether the boat should be allowed to dock or the migrants disembark.

"HUMAN TRAFFICKERS" Responding to the ruling, Salvini told supporters during a visit to Recco, in northern Italy, that he would continue to refuse the ship entry "because I will never be an accomplice to human traffickers".

The interior ministry later issued a statement saying it would appeal against the ruling to the State Council, a higher administrative body, because the court did not have all the relevant facts when it made its ruling. "For days, Open Arms remained in Libyan and Maltese waters, interfering with other rescue operations, and systematically collected people with the political objective of bringing them to Italy," the ministry said.

Earlier this month Salvini introduced a new law hiking fines for ships that enter Italian waters without authorization to up to 1 million euros ($1.12 million). The Open Arms, which has rescued some 160 people in the last two weeks, faced rough weather on Wednesday with storms forecast later in the evening. Several people were evacuated earlier this week to receive specialist medical treatment. (Additional reporting by Gavin Jones in Rome Editing by Gareth Jones)


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Pandemic must be impetus, not obstacle, for clean water access

To make matters worse, there are suspicions that the inadequacy of wastewater treatment methods in California, the rest of the USA, and indeed around the world may help to propagate the disease even more widely. ...

3D printing and the future of manufacturing post COVID-19

The on-demand, customizable, and localized manufacturing of product components facilitated by 3D printing has the potential to redefine manufacturing but there are certain technical, mechanical, and legal limitations that, unless ...

How UK’s 'best prepared' healthcare system failed to gauge COVID-19

The UK is proud of their public health system and its unlike any other country as around 90 percent of British public supports the founding principles of National Health Service. But without accurate data being available to stakeholders in ...

Poor on IHR capacity progress in 2019, WHO says Cambodia tops COVID-19 response

Despite being in proximity to Hubei, the original epicenter of COVID-19 pandemic, Cambodia has reported just 226 confirmed cases and zero deaths. After seeing the data, WHO appreciated Cambodias healthcare information system but experts dou...

Videos

Latest News

Pak shells forward areas along LoC in J-K's Poonch

Pakistani troops shelled forward areas along the Line of Control LoC in Jammu and Kashmirs Poonch district on Sunday, prompting a befitting response from the Indian Army, a defence spokesperson said. There have been no reports of any casual...

507 new cases take J-K's COVID-19 tally to 24,897; death toll rises to 472

An increase of 507 coronavirus cases took the COVID-19 tally in Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday to 24,897, while 13 deaths due to the viral disease were recorded in the last 24 hours, officials said. Of the new deaths, 12 occurred in the Kashmi...

3,934 more COVID-19 cases in Bihar

As many as 3,934 more COVID-19 cases were reported in the last 24 hours in Bihar, taking the total positive cases in the state to 79,720, the state health department said on Sunday. According to the health department, most of the cases have...

Dance video as death anniversary tribute to Bhabendranath Saikia

To pay homage to novelist, short-story writer and film director Bhabendranath Saikia in the run-up to his 17th death anniversary, a dance video, based on his prose pieces, was released on Sunday titled Twilight at the Port. This is a humble...

Give Feedback