Left Menu
Development News Edition

UPDATE 2-Turkey's Syria offensive an 'invasion' - Arab League secretary general

Reuters | Ankara | Updated: 12-10-2019 21:37 IST | Created: 12-10-2019 21:02 IST
UPDATE 2-Turkey's Syria offensive an 'invasion' - Arab League secretary general
Image Credit: Wikimedia

Arab League Secretary-General Ahmed Aboul Gheit on Saturday led Arab foreign ministers in lambasting Turkey's military operation in northeast Syria as an "invasion of an Arab state's land and aggression on its sovereignty".

Iraqi Foreign Minister Mohamed Ali Alhakim, president of the current Arab League session, also condemned Turkey's offensive into Syria during an emergency meeting of the body, called by Egypt. Reading from the meeting's final communique, Aboul Gheit said that the Arab League will consider taking measures against Turkey in the economic, investment and cultural sectors, and include tourism and military cooperation.

He also called on the U.N. Security Council to "take the necessary measures to stop the Turkish aggression and (for) the withdrawal from Syrian territory immediately". Turkey dismissed the Arab League statement, saying it misrepresented its military operations.

Fahrettin Altun, director of communications for the Turkish presidency, also said governments that disliked Turkey's stance on Middle East issues including the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and war in Yemen "do not speak for the Arab world". Arab foreign ministers had earlier lined up to condemn Turkey. The offensive "will exacerbate humanitarian crises, increase the suffering of the Syrian people, and strengthen the ability of terrorists to reorganize their remnants," Alhakim said.

Alhakim and Lebanon's Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil called on the League to reinstate Syria's membership in the body. On Tuesday, Turkey began an air and ground offensive into northeastern Syria against the Kurdish militia, opening a new front in the eight-year-old Syrian civil war that has raised the prospect of a new humanitarian disaster.

Turkey had been poised to enter northeast Syria since President Donald Trump ordered U.S. troops, who have been fighting with Kurdish-led forces against Islamic State, to pull out. The UAE's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash also condemned the Turkish offensive.

"We call for the exit of Turkey and its forces, as well as all foreign forces that have violated this Arab country - and to push for a successful political solution," Gargash said. Qatar, which is considered a Turkish ally, did not block the communique but voiced reservations.

"Qatar and Somalia have reservations about the Arab League's decision today," Arab League Assistant Secretary-General Hossam Zaki told Reuters. "The Qatari reservation puts Qatar in one trench with the aggressor, and I have no further comment," Egypt's Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry told Reuters TV.

Also Read: Turkey shrugs off Thomas Cook collapse amid booming investment


TRENDING

OPINION / BLOG / INTERVIEW

Uganda COVID-19 response: Was off to a good start but reopening dwindled prospects

Uganda has shown success in using health information to enhance efficiency of disease surveillance, reporting and monitoring. The success, however, has critical challenges confronting it as the country resumes normal activities....

New farm bills in India: Focusing on farms or farmers?

... ...

Kenya’s COVID-19 response: Chaos amid lack of information

Confusing numbers and scanty information on how effective curfews and lockdowns have been in breaking transmission have amplified coordination and planning challenges in Kenyas response to COVID-19. Without accurate data, it is impossible t...

Farkhad Akhmedov: Calculating the price of impunity from the law

In insistences such as the battle over the Luna, Akhmedov has resorted to extreme legal machinations to subvert the High Courts decision and keep his assets from being seized. ...

Videos

Latest News

Rapido launches Mumbai operations

Ride-hailing app Rapido on Friday announced the launch of its bike-taxi service here and said it plans to onboard two lakh bike drivers in the next two years as it expands operations further. The platform currently caters to auto rickshaw a...

Saat Nischay Yojana is biggest scam in Bihar's history: Chirag Paswan

By Sahil Pandey Lok Janshakti Party LJP chief Chirag Paswan on Friday termed Nitish Kumars Saat Nischay Yojana Seven Resolves Scheme as the biggest scam in the history of Bihar.This is just the beginning. Whoever is associated with Saat Nis...

Man in custody over alleged links to Nice attacker-source

France is engaged in a war against Islamist ideology and more militant attacks on French soil are likely, the interior minister on Friday.Gerald Damarnin was speaking a day after a knife-wielding attacker shouting Allahu Akbar God is Greate...

FTSE 100 set for worst month since March on virus resurgence

London stocks fell on Friday, with the FTSE 100 set for its worst monthly loss since March on fears that lockdowns to tackle surging coronavirus cases would disrupt a nascent economic recovery. The blue-chip FTSE 100 index lost 0.8, dragged...

Give Feedback