Stress laden 930 police personnel committed suicide in last 5 years: Ahir told RS
Over 930 police personnel, including those from the paramilitary forces, have committed suicide in the last five years, the Rajya Sabha was told on Wednesday. Union Minister of State for Home Hansraj Ahir said 90 paramilitary personnel have committed suicide in 2016, 121 in 2017 and 96 in 2018.
Besides, a total of 165, 167 and 157 police personnel, including civil and armed force, in the country have committed suicide in 2014, 2015 and 2016 respectively, he said in reply to a written question. Seven Delhi police personnel have committed suicide in 2015, 12 in 2016, 13 in 2017 and 11 in 2018 (till November 30) respectively.
Ahir said the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) had conducted a study in 2004 into the factors causing stress, the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIM-A) did a similar study in 2012 for BSF and CRPF personnel. Improvement of working conditions of paramilitary personnel is a constant endeavour and instructions in this regard are issued by the Home Ministry as and when required, he said.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Dense fog envelops Delhi, disrupts flight operations at IGIA
- Dense fog descends over Delhi, visibility drops
- Five Romanian nationals held for ATM skimming in north Delhi
- Delhi court quashes woman's plea seeking interim maintenance from husband
- Delhi bases student body demands 10 percent reservation for Muslims