111-year-old pontiff in 'good health' after liver operation: Mutt
Karnataka's 111-year-old revered pontiff Shivakumara Swami of Siddaganga mutt at Tumakuru returned to the mutt from Chennai hospital, where he recently underwent a liver operation, an official said on Wednesday.
The pontiff was flown to Chennai from Bengaluru on December 7 in an air ambulance for the operation to treat his liver and bile duct infection and was flown back after his recovery to Bengaluru on Wednesday.
Known among his followers as a walking god and an incarnation of 12th-century renowned social reformer Basava, the Lingayat seer is also the head of the Sree Siddaganga Education Society, which runs about 125 educational institutions in the state -- from engineering colleges to business schools.
The over century-old Swamiji has been in and out of hospitals of late for treatment of symptoms related to his advanced age.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Nationals agree to one-year deal with RHP Hellickson
- Poor visibility, heavy snowfall disrupt flight operations at Srinagar airport
- 10 bodies recovered after massive operation against Naxals in Bijapur
- India calls for collective international effort towards revitalisation of UNGA
- National Highways to be laid foundation stone in Jalpaiguri by PM Modi on Feb 8