BJP announces to waive electricity bills in rural areas in Gujrat
Reacting to Congress President Rahul Gandhi's jibe that it was time for Prime Minister Narendra Modi to wake up on farmers issues, Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar on Wednesday said nobody needs Gandhi's advice.
"The reforms for farmers that have taken place under the leadership of Prime Minister Modi are historic. He has ensured that farmers are insured from seed to the market and get better facilities. Therefore, Rahul need not advice us," Tomar said outside Parliament.
He said that wins and losses were part of the game in a democracy and one should not go overboard in the victory.
After the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) governments in Assam and Gujarat announced waiver of farm loans and rural electricity bills, respectively, the Congress chief on Wednesday said it was now time for "sleeping" PM Modi to wake up.
Gandhi claimed both states made the move under pressure from the Congress, which immediately after forming governments in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh waived farm loans delivering on its pre-poll promise.
While the BJP-led government in Gujarat on Tuesday announced it will waive electricity bills in rural areas, in Assam on Monday it approved an Rs 600-crore farm loan waiver.
Gandhi's latest attack comes a day after he vowed that the Congress and other opposition parties would not let Modi sleep until all farm loans were waived.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- My government's budget a historic step for welfare of farmers and working class: PM Modi at Matua Mahasangh event.
- PM Modi cuts short speech at West Bengal's Thakurnagar rally amid stampede-like situation, ends address in 14 minutes.
- PM Modi in West Bengal Live: Crowds begin to gather at Thakurnagar for rally, set to begin at 12pm
- PM Modi to inaugurate development projects on his Jammu & Kashmir visit
- PM Modi pitches for Citizenship Bill during Bengal visit to 'help refugees'