Amit Shah pays tribute to renowned socialist George Fernandes
BJP President Amit Shah on Tuesday condoled the death of former Union Minister George Fernandes and said his passing away marks an end of an era. "Anguished to learn about the demise of George Fernandes ji. His political persona left an indelible mark on several significant political events over decades. He also held several important ministerial portfolios in the Union cabinet over time," Shah tweeted.
He said that Fernandes's stint in public office saw him make some defining changes, particularly in railways. "The most abiding memories of Fernandes ji are those of his fierce opposition to the Emergency in 1975. He stood steadfastly to protect India's democratic values." Fernandes died on Tuesday after a prolonged illness. He was 88.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Central forces arrive at CBI office in Kolkata already cordoned off by city police.
- Some CBI officers forcefully taken to police station from outside Kolkata Police commissioner's residence: Officials.
- CBI officers stopped outside Kolkata CP Rajeev Kumar's residence: Sources
- Some CBI officers who were forcefully taken to police station from outside Kolkata Police commissioner's residence arrested: CBI sources.
- Box Office: 'Miss Bala' Fumbles as 'Glass' Leads Slowest Super Bowl Weekend in Two Decades