Soccer-Kompany's Man City future uncertain, says Guardiola
"He's incredible, but the reality is in the last five years he's played few, really few," Guardiola told reporters ahead of Tuesday's league trip to Newcastle United. "We don't have any doubts about his quality, we miss him when he is not able to play. He's important, he is our captain and on the field he gives us extra that few central defenders around the world can give us.
"That is the situation we have to put on the table and the club will discuss it with his agent and make the best decision for both." Kompany has been at the club since 2008 and has won seven major trophies, including three league titles, but Guardiola said any decision to extend the Belgium defender's contract should not be made on sentiment alone.
"The club knows the sentimental issue is so important," Guardiola added. "It's not important for making decisions, but they have to feel, especially for the players who have been here a long time and helped us to build what we are right now. "At the same time, there is a moment when it's over for everybody." (Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)
- China-US trade deal would send "positive signal" to world: Xi to Trump
- India leading world in mobile data consumption; mobile
- India fastest growing major economy in world: FinMin Goyal
- Upsurge in AI patent applications shows it could soon revolutionize tech world
- Nearly 4.2 mln people around world die every year within 30 days after surgery