Mamata Banerjee slams center for cheating nation with 'note-ban scam'
On the second anniversary of demonetisation, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday slammed the central government under Prime Minister Narendra Modi for cheating the nation with the note-ban "scam".
Calling it a dark day, Banerjee tweeted: "The government cheated our nation with this big #Demonetisation scam. It ruined the economy and the lives of millions. People will punish those who did this."
The Centre had on the day in 2016, at 8 p.m. announced a ban on the currency notes of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 in a sudden move that took everyone by surprise, restricting the availability of money for the next two days and taking months to return to normal.
"#DarkDay today is the second anniversary of #DeMonetisation disaster. From the moment it was announced I said so. Renowned economists, common people and all experts now all agree," Banerjee added.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Jammu-Srinagar national highway remains shut for second consecutive day
- US Senate introduces bill to combat tech-specific threats to national security
- Mamata Banerjee stresses on need for interfaith harmony for peaceful coexistence
- Government to soon launch National Artificial Intelligence Portal: Goyal
- Rlys gets Rs1.58 lakh cr in Budget, highest ever for national transporter