India's new fastest train set to start commercial operations before New Year
Train 18, the fastest train from railways' stable, will be flagged off by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on December 29 likely from his constituency Varanasi, sources said Wednesday. The country's first engineless train will replace Shatabdi trains and will run between Delhi and Varanasi, the source said.
The gleaming blue-nosed train comes fitted with amenities at par with the best in the world -- from onboard WiFi to a GPS-based passenger information system, touch-free bio-vacuum toilets, LED lighting, mobile charging points and a climate control system that adjusts the temperature according to occupancy and weather.
The train will have two executive compartments which will have 52 seats each and trailer coaches will have 78 seats each. The executive class will have rotating seats to match the direction of the train.
According to the tentative plan, the train will start from New Delhi station at 6 am and is expected to reach Varanasi at 2 pm. For the return journey, the train will start at 2.30 pm from Varanasi and reach the national capital at 10.30 pm on the same day.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- Vande Bharat express, India's fastest train set for commercial run from Sunday
- Modi targets opposition leaders for criticising India's fastest train
- India's fastest train Vande Bharat Express flags off from New Delhi
- PM Narendra Modi flags off Vande Bharat Express, India's fastest train, which will travel from Delhi to Varanasi.
- Vande Bharat express, India's fastest train starts to make bookings for Feb 17