28 students injured in blast in Kashmir tuition centre
Doctors at Pulwama District Hospital said they received 17 students with injuries and three among these with serious wounds were referred to Srinagar for specialized treatment. Eleven other students were taken to a sub-district hospital in Pampore town - and again three of them were shifted to Srinagar.
"There was a deafening explosion after which hell broke loose inside the classroom," he said. "Honestly, I have no idea how many students were injured." Police said they were yet to establish how or why the blast took place.
Governor Satya Pal Malik expressed his deep regrets over the incident and approved Rs 50,000 to each injured student. All educational institutions are closed in the Kashmir Valley these days due to winter recess.
An earlier unconfirmed report said the explosion took place when one of the students was fiddling with a grenade he was carrying. Meanwhile, civilians clashes with security personnel as news about the explosion spread in Narbal village.
- Mobile internet services suspended in Jammu and Kashmir ahead of PM's visit
- Will break backbone of terror in Jammu and Kashmir: Modi
- PM Modi lays foundation stones for several development projects in Jammu
- Rs 75,000 cr will be sent to farmers directly under PM-KISAN scheme: PM in Jammu
- Hazare's indefinite hunger strike enters fifth day, villagers block highway