"I'm pissed off": Jussie Smollett angry that some doubt he was attacked
Smollett, 36, an openly gay African-American who plays a gay character on the hip-hop drama "Empire," made the comments in an interview with ABC News that is set to air on "Good Morning America" on Thursday. An interview clip was posted online. "I'm pissed off," Smollett told ABC News' Robin Roberts. "It's the attackers, but it's also the attacks." Smollett told Chicago police he was attacked on Jan. 29 by two men who shouted racist and homophobic slurs at him and put a rope around his neck.
The news sparked outrage on social media, but some questioned Smollett's account. The Chicago police have not found any surveillance video evidence and have made no arrests. "At first it was a thing of 'Like, listen, if I tell the truth, then that's it — cause it's the truth,'" he said. "Then it became a thing of 'Like, oh, how can you doubt that? Like, how do you not believe that?' It's the truth." Chicago police said they are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime.
(With inputs from agencies.)
- "Riverdale" actor Murray to continue playing character in 'Katy Keene' spin-off
- People of Odisha aware of Congress party's true character: Dharmendra Pradhan
- Character of this side came to fore in this final: Pandit
- Tushar Pandey excited about playing characters of different age groups
- I know PM Modi's character after fighting him for 5 years, he is a coward. When someone stands up to him, he runs away: Rahul Gandhi.